Author Topic: fish boxes  (Read 6617 times)

str8fishon

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
fish boxes
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:55:14 PM »
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the board. I was very interested in the tolman but have now turned my sights to the GA because of size. My question is can a in deck fish boxes be added to GA? I have put 1000 lbs of tuna in my current rig (fish boxes, dry storage, and large coolers) but a deck can get very cluttered with coolers. I was also wondering if it is possible to up the fuel carried say to 150 gallons? I'm currently looking at building a 28' GA. thanks
cj

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: fish boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »
Certainly both are possible.  As designed, the boat has two 55-gallon belly tanks below the main deck, one inside the pilot house and one under the cockpit deck.  Even if you left these out and built a fish box below the deck in the cockpit area, you can still obtain the 150 gallons of fuel that you want.  Consider for example, the P/N 59027 55-gallon box tank from RDS Aluminum (36-1/2"L x 22"W x 16-1/2"H).  If you put two of these in the boat, one inside a settee located just inside the aft pilot house bulkhead, then you'd have 110 gallons on board and would only need to add 40 more gallons to get to your 150 gallon goal.  Two 20-gallon saddle tanks would complete the picture:

Example saddle tanks: http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/100-X912337.htm

Note that with these tanks just inside the aft house bulkhead, that you would be moving the CG forward a bit and the last thing you want is a boat with bow-down trim.  If you do this, I'd recommend hedging your bets by moving the aft house bulkhead aftward as much as allowed so you could mount your tanks slightly further aft (10-12 inches), and I would also recommend the use of a jack plate or bracket to move your outboard(s) further aft as well (12"?).  Either way, you should be able to meet your goals.  That's the nice thing about building your own boat ...you can make it work the way you want it to rather than how some factory wanted it to work.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

str8fishon

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply Brian. I'm sure i will be asking many more questions before i get started.
cj

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
np
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
fish boxes
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 05:19:49 AM »
Certainly both are possible.  As designed, the boat has two 55-gallon belly tanks below the main deck, one inside the pilot house and one under the cockpit deck.  Even if you left these out and built a fish box below the deck in the cockpit area, you can still obtain the 150 gallons of fuel that you want.  Consider for example, the P/N 59027 55-gallon box tank from RDS Aluminum (36-1/2"L x 22"W x 16-1/2"H).  If you put two of these in the boat, one inside a settee located just inside the aft pilot house bulkhead, then you'd have 110 gallons on board and would only need to add 40 more gallons to get to your 150 gallon goal.  Two 20-gallon saddle tanks would complete the picture:

Example saddle tanks: http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/100-X912337.htm

Note that with these tanks just inside the aft house bulkhead, that you would be moving the CG forward a bit and the last thing you want is a boat with bow-down trim.  If you do this, I'd recommend hedging your bets by moving the aft house bulkhead aftward as much as allowed so you could mount your tanks slightly further aft (10-12 inches), and I would also recommend the use of a jack plate or bracket to move your outboard(s) further aft as well (12"?).  Either way, you should be able to meet your goals.  That's the nice thing about building your own boat ...you can make it work the way you want it to rather than how some factory wanted it to work.

Brian
This is just the idea I have as well. I don't understand where the 2nd 55gallon tank is located. Also, are the areas located on the outside of the stringers reserved for floatation chambers? I would be great to get rid of the ice chest on the aft deck. If the space aft of the pilot house  is used as a fish box, Would I use an insert and allow space for fuel/water to pass thru to the bilge if needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:25:03 AM by sayswho »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »
The default design (see the 000-series of drawings for cross-section views) is for the boat to have two 55-gallon belly tanks located end to end under the deck. 
One tank is under the cockpit deck, and one under the pilot house deck.  Both mounted to put the fills and vents together right at the aft pilot house bulkhead.
The front tank would need to be custom made to fit the boat, but there are options on the aft tank that fit.

If you leave out the aft under-deck belly tank, then that space becomes available for things like fish boxes or storage of emergency gear.  If you want the range of the
original design, then you'll need to add fuel tanks into the boat somewhere else... low box tanks under settees are an example, or saddle tanks under the sheer on either side, etc.

Brian

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 05:08:48 PM »
Ah, I understand. Missed the part about under settee. A fish box that size would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:48:22 AM »
You can do a lot with fuel tank arrangements nowadays.  Just try to keep the fuel load near the aft house bulkhead and the boat will remain balanced well enough.

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »
I am running 113 gallons of fuel, I was shooting for 125. The reason I went smaller was a design issue in the building of the tank. Not a big deal, but it would have jumped the cost quite a bit.
I also have a large in deck fish box. I am thinking I can get close to fifty albies in there. My season was very short last year so I didn't get to try out stuffing the boat...
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »
Cannon,
How is you fish box designed? That's a lot of tuna. What are the dimensions of the box?

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
I will have to measure it...when it isn't raining 😀
It runs from the front side of the splashwell to just shy of two foot from the cabin bulkhead. It is full width between the stringers and four inches taller than the stringers (I added 4" in height so my fuel tank could be shorter and still hold 125 gallons of fuel). I'm sure there are photos on my blog. I moved the fuel tank forward, under the cabin sole, so my fish box would be larger. I am also in the process of building an insulated fish box which will sit on the deck. It will cut down on deck space, but won't really be in the way, with plenty of room all of the way around. A friend built a similar box, but his only holds around 50 fish, mine will have about nine more cubic ft.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
The box is 56"x31"x14" or about 14 cubic feet.

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
Nice. Minus raising a full 4", that's what I had in mind. Thank you for the reply. Do you put your ice straight into the fish box or cool the Albies and then transfer?

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 04:10:37 PM »
I bleed them, then into the slurry to cool and then into the fish box for sashimi grade fish...or at least that is how it is suppose to work, but in the midst of the frenzied bite, that can go sideways.