Author Topic: Build questions  (Read 4280 times)

buksknr1

Build questions
« on: January 30, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Brian, I recall you writing that if a builder decided to go with an I/O setup(probably diesel) you needed to be contacted to discuss altering the plans. How far along in the build does a person have to be to make the final decision on powering?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Build questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
Technically, you can wait as long as you want before deciding.  It just means you would have to make the transom cut-out after the hull has been assembled, but that's not a problem.  Also, if using a stern drive then you want a transom that has a consistent thickness so the motor will have a plain flat surface to mate against inside the boat.  The outboard version of the transom has two 1-3/4" thick LVL motor boards on top of a 1/2" thick transom, total thickness of the transom through the motor boards is then 2-1/4".  Below the motor boards, there are two layers of 3/4" plywood laminated on the boat, total thickness down there is only 2" thick.  To build a transom that can go either way, just add a 1/4" thick layer of plywood below the motor boards to make the whole transom from top of upper motor board to the bottom the same consistent thickness (glass and fair to be flat) and rather than making the motor cut-out as for an outboard, just finish the top of the transom with a smooth arc from one side of the boat to the other.  If you go with the stern drive, then the transom will be ready.  If you go with an outboard (or two), then you'd go ahead and mark, then cut out, the cut-out for outboards.

See attached drawing for the outboard type transom.  I can send you the stern drive transom drawing after I get home tonight.  Otherwise, 'contacting me' means sending me the approximate weights and dimensions of stern drives that you are considering so I can pop them into the CG spreadsheet to verify the resulting CG is within an acceptable window, e.g. to make the boat trim properly when at rest.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

buksknr1

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
Is there any advantage to building the transom "outboard" thickness all the way down?

It's beginning to feel like I'm going to be sending you money soon.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
 Not really.  The heavier motor board thickness is for outboards hanging off the transom (bouncing etc).  Making the transom thicker (2-1/4") all the way to the bottom neither helps or hurts ...other than providing a flat surface for a stern drive motor to mate with.  I believe the stern drive transom is 2" thick and just laminated plywood if I recall ...forgot to dig that drawing out at home last night.  Another option is to replace the LVL motor boards with "structural select" green douglas fir (not hemlock,  NOT kiln dried) 2x8s ...and let them air dry until the moisture is 15% or lower.  These are only 1-1/2" thick (total transom thickness now 2" everywhere), but are stiffer and stronger than LVL with a side load ...hence the thicker LVL.  On either option, the motor boards are glassed with biaxial regardless (resists 'twist' type distortion better than woven glass since the yarn is in the right direction and made from two flat layers knitted together instead of being woven together).

1/31/2012 Edit:  Added transom drawing for stern drive option (2" thick, all plywood)

Brian

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:59:58 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

buksknr1

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »
Thanks, kinda figured it was an "overbuild" situation.