Author Topic: Time for Electronicx  (Read 3421 times)

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Time for Electronicx
« on: May 12, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »
Hi Guys- I am getting close to buying electronics for ROSIE. I am a dinosaur since the last time I looked into this stuff I was using a sextant for navigating. I love the new stuff but still will have “analog” back ups. You know, paper charts, compass, etc.
The first thing I am looking at is a chart plotter. I will likely go for a 9”. I have used a lot of Garmin products that have worked well but have been hearing good things about Simrad. To many “features” just confuses me so I want ease of use and reliability first. I will mostly be cruising and fishing is not the main use.  I don’t need a sonar that is top of the line. Of course I need a compass and VHF as well.
Radar will come at some point so easy networking is important. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Ken

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Time for Electronicx
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:59:58 AM »
I'm like you .... it's been some years since I researched these things carefully.  I recall that for me, it was a toss-up between Garmin (my likely choice), Furuno, and RayMarine.  Hopefully others will kick in with more info - especially on networking, engine data, etc.

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:23:00 AM »
Brian- Yep, there was a time that I couldn't wait for the latest electronics to come on the scene. Ham radio was a passion, etc. Now, a update happens on my computer and I dread having to figure out how to use it. Maybe just to many things bombarding us in the modern world or I have passed my prime:).
Ken (NM1T in my ham days)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:30:53 AM »
Brian- Yep, there was a time that I couldn't wait for the latest electronics to come on the scene. Ham radio was a passion, etc. Now, a update happens on my computer and I dread having to figure out how to use it. Maybe just to many things bombarding us in the modern world or I have passed my prime:).
Ken (NM1T in my ham days)

Unless I forget the rules, your call sign indicates that you were an Extra Class operator? 

Brian - General Class
K4JUL - Call sign taken from USA Independence Day :)
73s

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
Brian,
Ahhh- A fellow ham! Yes, I was an Extra class. Still have my license but haven't been active for many years. I was an electronics "nerd' for a long time but  went on to other things.
Ken

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 04:56:12 AM »
Brian,
Ahhh- A fellow ham! Yes, I was an Extra class. Still have my license but haven't been active for many years. I was an electronics "nerd' for a long time but  went on to other things.
Ken

I have a 40 meter end fed half wave wire for HF work, and it even works on 80 meters now and then, but I never get time to pursue the hobby much... always too busy.  I take part in a net about once a week on average.... :)

Brian

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 07:11:06 AM »
I keep thinking I will get back to it someday but always seem to be busy with other things (like building boats). I was very active back in my cruising days and for a time when I returned. Not sure I could send and receive CW anymore.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:47 AM »
I kind of have it in the back of my mind that I'd like to try the 'worked all states (WAS)' award thing at the ARRL ... but I haven't even made time to tune the length of my EFHW wire ... the minimum SWR is below the low band limits on all bands ... the routing of the wire has it de-tuned a bit.  The net that I participate in is an 'over the hill' VHF net in the local area, and my Diamond Verticals 5-1/2' attic antenna works great for that  :).  I'll get more into it someday, and perhaps work my way through the attached PDF as well ... just a fun nerdy thing to do.  Same thing with raspberry pi and arduino.  I'm an electrical engineer with both bachelor's and master's degrees ... I sorta feel like I *should* tinker with electronics .... ya hafta!

Brian

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:47:06 AM by Brian.Dixon »

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
Brian- That little book brings me back.  When I was a little kid a friend of the family gave me crystal radio shaped like a rocket ship. Clip it to the radiator, put in the ear piece and try to hear a radio signal through the static. When I got a signal it was a thrill.  Getting my Novice ticket when I was around 13, I got my first contact on CW which was around 200 miles away. Again, a thrill for a little kid. I think that crystal radio planted a seed. I know I sound like a old fart, but it I feel a bit bad for kids that never have that moment of wonder. Somehow a smartphone won't do it.
Ok, get off my lawn! Time for some Ovaltine......
Ken

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »
... and Geritol :)