Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT - THE GREAT ALASKAN KODIAK MODEL ADDENDUM IS NOW AVAILABLE!!  (Read 387 times)

json

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Brian!

json

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brian, I was starting to look at shelf molds and the width of the shelf mold flats is stated as 5" on the GAK sheet, but the shelves I made are 5 1/2" wide (aligned to the outer corner of the flat). Please confirm that the flats for the molds should be 5 1/2" or 5" and that my understanding of this is correct, which is that the shelf outboard side should be aligned with the outer edge of the molds. Thanks!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Brian, I was starting to look at shelf molds and the width of the shelf mold flats is stated as 5" on the GAK sheet, but the shelves I made are 5 1/2" wide (aligned to the outer corner of the flat). Please confirm that the flats for the molds should be 5 1/2" or 5" and that my understanding of this is correct, which is that the shelf outboard side should be aligned with the outer edge of the molds. Thanks!

The shelves for the Kodiak are indeed 5-1/2" wide .... a little wider than the shelves for the standard Great Alaskan.  That said, the shelf molds only support 5" of the shelves ... the shelves will stick out half an inch on either side.  No worries.  If you want to make the 'flats' on the molds 5-1/2" wide instead of 5", that's fine too.  Perhaps I should do that just to get rid of any confusion?  Let me know if you spot any fit issues .... :)

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

json

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ah, ok, maybe I am misunderstanding the instruction on the sheet, it says "Shelves should be aligned with the outer edge aligned with the outer edge of mold, and clamped in place". My interpretation of that aligns the outer side of the shelves to the outer side of the molds, which wouldn't be present on a 5" wide mold. Can you clarify that instruction if possible? Thanks!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
Ah, ok, maybe I am misunderstanding the instruction on the sheet, it says "Shelves should be aligned with the outer edge aligned with the outer edge of mold, and clamped in place". My interpretation of that aligns the outer side of the shelves to the outer side of the molds, which wouldn't be present on a 5" wide mold. Can you clarify that instruction if possible? Thanks!

YIKES!  I need to fix those instructions.  The inner edge ought to align with the inner edge of the mold.  Those instructions were for the standard GA with 5" shelves.  When you get the molds installed on the jig, transom in place, you'll see that the inner edge naturally aligns with the inner edge on the molds.  Regardless, I'll double check when I get home tonight ... but no worries.  If you lofted the shelves according to the given offsets, put them in the molds point to point at the bow, and aligned the aft ends with the transom where they fit ... then the molds are more or less inconsequential ... they are there to a) support the weight of the shelves, and to b) ensure the proper sheerline curve (once the bow end is pressed down by the stem).

Thanks for the heads up ... I hadn't realized my miss on updating the instructions.  I think I'll modify the molds to support the 5-1/2 inch shelves with 5-1/2 inch flats on the molds - it'll clear up a lot of confusion.

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -

json

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ok, awesome, thanks for clarity. No rush now on my behalf, I have a clear picture of how I should go about installing the shelves. It's funny, at my last job (software) we had a very rigorous quality assurance department, and they would send my features back to me constantly with small nitpicks. I used to hate it and now I feel like the shoe is on the other foot a bit. :) So sorry to be a bit of a pest, and thanks for helping me through these (extremely well done) plans.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
Ok, awesome, thanks for clarity. No rush now on my behalf, I have a clear picture of how I should go about installing the shelves. It's funny, at my last job (software) we had a very rigorous quality assurance department, and they would send my features back to me constantly with small nitpicks. I used to hate it and now I feel like the shoe is on the other foot a bit. :) So sorry to be a bit of a pest, and thanks for helping me through these (extremely well done) plans.

Whenever something new is released, there is always a "maturity cycle" that occurs.  You do your best, then find out about all the nits that you didn't spot in spite of yourself ... and you fix'm .... I don't mind.  I want the plans and drawings to be easy for everyone....  The Kodiak release has been pretty smooth.

Brian

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile

YIKES!  I need to fix those instructions.  The inner edge ought to align with the inner edge of the mold.  Those instructions were for the standard GA with 5" shelves.  When you get the molds installed on the jig, transom in place, you'll see that the inner edge naturally aligns with the inner edge on the molds.  Regardless, I'll double check when I get home tonight ... but no worries.  If you lofted the shelves according to the given offsets, put them in the molds point to point at the bow, and aligned the aft ends with the transom where they fit ... then the molds are more or less inconsequential ... they are there to a) support the weight of the shelves, and to b) ensure the proper sheerline curve (once the bow end is pressed down by the stem).

Thanks for the heads up ... I hadn't realized my miss on updating the instructions.  I think I'll modify the molds to support the 5-1/2 inch shelves with 5-1/2 inch flats on the molds - it'll clear up a lot of confusion.

Brian

UPDATE:  Fixed the issue above....

• I double checked all shelf molds and they're fine - but I adjusted the outer edge of each by around 1/2" (see drawings) to make the outer edge match the width of the shelves exactly ... and therefore the instructions that say to align with the OUTER edge of the molds is now accurate. NOTE that if you built the shelf molds as originally specified, just align the shelves to the INNER edge of the mold - you will have around 1/2" overhang past the ends of the molds, but this is totally OK.  The update that I just did was done primarily to remove confusion in my instructions.
  • I made the transom slot for the shelves 1/16" wider to allow a little wiggle room for when you install the transom / shelves on the OUTBOARD transom drawing
  • Added a note about using the OUTBOARD drawing dimensions for the shelf slots on the STERNDRIVE transom drawing, and added a note that clarifies that the shelf slot only goes through the inner (inside boat side) face of the 3-layer sterndrive transom

All online drawing downloads have been updated, as has the all-files ZIP at our website and at our product hosting company website (for new purchasers).

Brian

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:00:47 AM by Brian.Dixon »