Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 148 times)

fishon78

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »
Hello Gents,

I am new to posting though I have been stalking/lurking you GA builders for years. I purchase several of Renn's books back in 2014 and read them both. Then I picked up the GA study guide in 2015 and the plans in 2017. It has taken me 5 years to convince my wife to let me start a project his size. I am a life long woodworker/cabinet maker and have a been fantasizing about building my own boat since I have been a kid. Currently, I have a 24 seasport xl and like the boat. I have plans to build the big and wide GA brian is working on. I would like the bigger boat to do a lot of camping and cruzing in my boat with my family.  The 24 is getting a little small as my kidos keep getting bigger. The idea of building my own boat is really cool to me. I appreciate all the posts and pictures of all the great boats that have been built already. I can't wait to get mine going. Any advice you fellas have for a newbie is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »
Welcome aboard!  There are 2 people looking into the Big & Wide GA addendum.... who will be first?  :D

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:49:42 AM »
fishon78
Like you I own a seasport  and built a 28.5' and extremely happy with my GA. The ride, economy, room and feel of building it ourselves, pales my seasport in comparison. Being a wood worker by trade you will find a build like this fairly simple. I have/had limited experience wood working but managed the build in 3yrs (just my wife and I).

Where you at?

Mark B

fishon78

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Twisted1,

Is your build complete? I am trying to get an estimate of the hours it takes to complete one. I am planning on taking it slow as I have evening and weekends. 

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:12:09 PM »
That's exactly how we went about the build, weekends and evenings after work. Yes, we are complete as far as building the boat. For us it took 3yrs and three weeks to launch. We didn't account for our hours, we just made sure we had accomplishments most evenings a had a plan for the weekend.