Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 3047 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »
Brian, can I use stainless screws on the transom? Having trouble finding long bronze ones

They're out there ... the biggest issue is finding a small enough pack to make them affordable.  I just looked a little and fount 3 inch long #14 silicon bronze screws at the link below ...but they want to sell you a hundred of them for $153.  Who needs a hundred?  Crazy.... but maybe something similar can be found somewhere else, or maybe a phone call to them might allow working a deal ... give them a few bucks apiece for a set of 5 (you need 4, but Murphy's Law says you'll bust one of the if you only buy 4 ... and if you buy 5, they'll all go in perfectly and you'll have a useless screw #5, LOL).

https://www.boatdesigns.com/3-14-Bronze-Wood-Screws_100/productinfo/11-219C/

The reality with other stainless types, say 316, is that they may pick up slight surface corrosion over the years if left buried, but in spite of the 'best advice' to use silicon bronze (96% copper, 4% silicon), 316 stainless can be buried in epoxy/glass/wood and last longer than your lifetime anyway.  Don't feel bad about that.  And even though I know of at least one person who has even buried el cheapo drywall screws in epoxy, I do recommend at least sticking with 316 stainless.  Lower than that is not rated for offshore saltwater environments .... but I know, if buried, you could argue 'who cares?'.  It's your call.  I just think that having a little mechanical back-up to the glass/epoxy mating of the stringers to the transom is not a bad idea if not running them through the transom ... but sigh, we're still talking overkill.  Overkill is not a bad thing for a high speed offshore planing hull that may experience impact loads.  You always want to get back home, even if you crack something major.

Extremely awesome curved transom, BTW!  It's looking hot!

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

json

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »
West Marine has a pack of 10 #14 3 1/2" silicon bronze screws for $30... Maybe we can start a pool to share them.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fasco-fastener--silicon-bronze-frearson-flat-head-wood-screws--P013_390_002_050?recordNum=3

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »
Perhaps the "best" method to attach the transom to the stringers would be a mortise and tenon joint, rather than the "through stringer" or the "butt stringer" joints. :o

Hell, you could go hog wild, and do a blind shoulder tenon! ;)

Has the benefit of extending the build time by several hours, and wowing and impressing the forum members, until it is covered and painted!!
8) 8) 8)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
Perhaps the "best" method to attach the transom to the stringers would be a mortise and tenon joint, rather than the "through stringer" or the "butt stringer" joints. :o

Hell, you could go hog wild, and do a blind shoulder tenon! ;)

Has the benefit of extending the build time by several hours, and wowing and impressing the forum members, until it is covered and painted!!
8) 8) 8)

I do agree.... :)

bd

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -

Djeffrey

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2019, 08:09:41 AM »
Thanks json, I found that today as well. Still pricey but I ordered them anyway.

Djeffrey

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2019, 09:33:47 AM »
I feel like Im over the hump. Big week of work on the transom

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2019, 07:01:12 AM »
Thanks json, I found that today as well. Still pricey but I ordered them anyway.

Teensy little price compared to the total cost of the project, and you'll feel good about having the right stuff in the boat.  Keep in mind that silicon bronze screws are 96% copper or so and NOT as tough as the various silver-colored stainless steels out there ... still many times tougher than the wood that they go into.  I only point this out because you should pre-drill for silicon bronze screws (really, any screws), and the size of the drill bit used should result in a little bit of wood compression by the main shaft of the screw.  Hold drill bits along the screw and choose one that is just a hair (highly techinickel term) smaller in diameter than the shaft of the screw - not counting the width of the threads.  These screws are strongest if the main shaft of the screw slightly compresses the wood while the threads cut into the surrounding wood during installation - this is different than how deck and other screws work ... but is the standard for boat construction and the screws that are used.

Brian

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2019, 07:03:18 AM »
That's a sweet transom!  I love it when people put a curved transom on the Great Alaskan.  It not only looks great, but it's stronger that way and it helps the boat resist broaching in a following sea - there is no downside!  (Other than the extra work and more time spent noodling how to do it)

Brian

Djeffrey

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »
Thanks for the input Brian. I have zero complaints. Having a blast with this project.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2019, 01:38:50 PM »
Thanks for the input Brian. I have zero complaints. Having a blast with this project.

And you're doing a great job with it!  Pride of workmanship shows!

Brian

Djeffrey

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2019, 05:57:49 PM »
Running a little low on wood filler. Can I use straight silica until I get more?  Also thinking of just doing a black graphite on the bottom, do I just add graphite to epoxy and roll it on?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2019, 06:45:25 PM »
Running a little low on wood filler. Can I use straight silica until I get more?  Also thinking of just doing a black graphite on the bottom, do I just add graphite to epoxy and roll it on?

Wood flour keeps the mix cheaper.  Silica cures hard as stone - no good if you want to sand and scrape it after it cures.  Otherwise, silica by itself works fine.

I think I give the approximate ratio for graphite in the manual?  Close is close enough though.  I roll it on in sections, tipping each new section back into the previous with a foam brush.  Do at least one whole half of the boat at once, e.g. transom to bow, chine to fairbody ....do the other side the next day.

does that help?  :D  Wife is calling.....

Brian

Djeffrey

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »
Yep that helps. I am putting second layer on the bow.

Djeffrey

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2019, 06:01:01 PM »
I thought that laminating the second layer on the bottom would be harder then it was. Looks like sides will start going on this weekend. 😀😀😀😀

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »

Ahhhh the wonders of 3D CAD and the development of developable panels .... :)  Everything bends right and fits right!  Glad it's going together easily for you :D

Brian