Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 93411 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2019, 10:31:23 PM »
 Can you post a pic or a link to the aluminum roller you mentioned.  I might like to try it.  Especially for my next cloth project.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2019, 07:24:34 AM »
You can find them on Amazon. Look up laminating roller.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2019, 09:25:03 PM »
Will do.  Thank you

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2019, 01:56:28 PM »
Brian, any serious issues with not running the stringers through the transom but rather butting them up like the picture below. I think it will weaken them if I cut that much out of them.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2019, 02:30:54 PM »
No ... it's kinda 6 one way, half a dozen the other.  With a regular transom, I like the combination of a mechanical / epoxy connection.  The slots in the transom create additional wood/epoxy surface.  For your extended transom and it's narrow transom at the center (almost like a bracket), I'm not sure I'd cut the slots either.  What I would consider however, would be silicon bronze large screws (#12 or bigger) run through the outside of your transom into the ends of the stringers as a back-up mechanical connection.  Might keep things together if you hit a fishing wier, runaway deadhead log, or buoy some night!  If you lag or big-screw through the transom into the ends of the stringers, predrill and countersink so the installed screw is just below the surface, and don't feel bad about burying it under epoxy and glass.  Silicon bronze doesn't corrode from any residual wood moisture, and they don't swell up if they do.  Run the screws at opposing angles ... top one angled downward, bottom one angled upward - 2 screws/lags is enough.  Also, use nice large fillets with milled glass fiber on the inside and glass well - you already know all that.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »
Thank you. Great idea on the screws. Making some good progress. I keep waiting for something to not fit right but it is fitting together very smoothly.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »
Looking great, and you're starting to see how big the boat is too ... exciting!

Transom - When you glass and glue the swim platform on, that adds a lot of strength too.  'Box' structures are strong.

I did have one guy complain about parts not fitting together right ... he was a professional machinist of fine and delicate parts ... and was concerned when he spotted a 1/16"+ gap between bottom panels .. :D .  The CAD work was accomplished with (stacked) fit tolerances to 1/32" of an inch, so if each part was made perfectly and all wood bends just exactly like the surfaces in the CAD model, a 1/16" gap would be the worst-case expected error.  Feedback so far is that everything just fits ... goes together without funky gaps or odd fits.  That's one of the reasons that computer-designed boats are good ... the parts fit.  :D

Brian

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:57:41 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2019, 07:41:43 PM »
Man, your build looks great. Very clean and well done. And you are making great progress. How many hours a week are you spending if you don't mind me asking? You are going to have a giant boat at your disposal in a minute. :)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2019, 07:57:09 AM »
Not sure how many hours a week I am spending on The boat. I bet my wife knows🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. I try and do something every day. Yesterday I shaped and glued in the stem. Maybe took an hour. Json, you where smart to make and cut your transom before you hung the bottom. I have not built mine yet and am left with the added task of trying to do it upside down.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2019, 02:17:51 PM »
Hey Brian, because I am building a custom transom, should I just fit the stingers where they look good and even?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »
Hey Brian, because I am building a custom transom, should I just fit the stingers where they look good and even?

You mean as they pass through the slots in the forward transom?  Good and even is fine if I catch your drift...

Brian

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »
. In other words there is no measurement that I should set them on forward or aft.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »
. In other words there is no measurement that I should set them on forward or aft.

Oh ... you're talking about fore/aft.  Yeah, the way it works is that you put the sheer 'shelf molds' in the right place on the jig, then put the shelves on them in correct position, then put the stem in place so the tip meets the tip of the shelves.  The top end of the stem establishes where the bottom panel assembly goes in the fore/aft direction - after you've planed and fit the bottom panel into it that is (see manual).  While doing this work, the temporary framing and transom will be carrying the stringers so that the bottom panel assembly can rest on them.  The stringers will be close to their final position, but can be adjusted fore/aft.  AFTER the stem has been fit to the bow of the bottom panel assembly, then you can lift the bottom panels just a hair and slide the stringers fore/aft to fit the bottom panels exactly where the ended up.  Hopefully that makes sense.

I think the short answer to your question is yes, once the shelves, stem, and bottom panel assembly all fit together (temporary framing and transom in place and carrying the stringers), then the stringers are slid fore/aft to fit the bottom panel assembly at the bow end.  Does that answer your question, I hope?  :D

Brian

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
Yep. That is exactly what I am doing. Just wanted to run it by you

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
Yep. That is exactly what I am doing. Just wanted to run it by you

You got this!!  Your fine boat is coming together fast too!

Brian