Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 183209 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. Ya it’s happening!
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »
I am enjoying your posts. Thank you for posting, keep it up please.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
I can’t cut a straight line longer than a inch.  I used my block plane a lot to shape the inside curves.  Maybe I need to upgrade the old jigsaw.  I think after 30 years of bending nails and pulling wrenches I am seeing the early signs of carpal tunnel.  Makes the hand work more difficult and I get tired quicker than i use to.
Try making your long curves with a skilsaw. You will get smooth consistent curves. A jig saw makes inconsistent curves which require cleaning up with a plane. Don’t plunge cut the curves like you do when cutting your stringers, but rat he still the saw deep enough so it will fully penetrate.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
My go to dust maker is my 7 1/4” mag skilsaw.  I have used so far for everything except the inside curve of the chines, and inside bottom corners of transom. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »
Glued the chine flats, one bottom panel scarf, and 1 forward section of of shelf blanks.  I learned I would much rather layout and make cut pieces than mix and sling epoxy.  I’m not good at waiting for stuff to set up and dry.  Anyway

What is the harm in laminating the transom parts and glassing it after assembly?

I already routed the splash well notch into the motor board.  How do I deal with glassing it?   

How thick should a creamy mixture of silica thickened epoxy be?  Is this another one of those. CLose is close enough deals again?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 05:54:24 AM »
Glued the chine flats, one bottom panel scarf, and 1 forward section of of shelf blanks.  I learned I would much rather layout and make cut pieces than mix and sling epoxy.  I’m not good at waiting for stuff to set up and dry.  Anyway

What is the harm in laminating the transom parts and glassing it after assembly?

I already routed the splash well notch into the motor board.  How do I deal with glassing it?   

How thick should a creamy mixture of silica thickened epoxy be?  Is this another one of those. CLose is close enough deals again?

I know how you feel ... building a boat is like being in the military.  Hurry up and wait!

There's nothing wrong with glassing the transom after it's been made.  As far as the splash well notch goes, you can glass right over it like it's not there, then after the epoxy greens up a bit, use a razor blade to slice along the top and bottom of the slot to remove the strip of glass that spans over it.

Creamy?  Like the consistency of stirred yogurt or a tiny bit thinner ... not runny like unthickened epoxy, and not so thick that it'll stand on it's own.  When gluing large surfaces together, you want the epoxy to both flow and be gap-filling when you press the two pieces together.  And .... close is close enough! :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 10:59:28 PM »
Man, it seems like the better the Economy seems, the crappier service gets.  My epoxy was lost for 5 days in a whse in Atlanta.  Then that carrier passed it off to a local carrier that never delivered it.  After kicking rocks all day I called them to find they did deliver it, with a signature.  Just so happens it wasn’t me who signed, and they didn’t deliver it to the address on the bill of lading.   Now for whatever reason I can’t get ahold of my fiberglass  supplier.   No one answers the phone and email can take days and I’m too dumb to find what I need on thier website.  End of rant

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 05:01:14 AM »
Man, it seems like the better the Economy seems, the crappier service gets.  My epoxy was lost for 5 days in a whse in Atlanta.  Then that carrier passed it off to a local carrier that never delivered it.  After kicking rocks all day I called them to find they did deliver it, with a signature.  Just so happens it wasn’t me who signed, and they didn’t deliver it to the address on the bill of lading.   Now for whatever reason I can’t get ahold of my fiberglass  supplier.   No one answers the phone and email can take days and I’m too dumb to find what I need on thier website.  End of rant

What brand epoxy, what dealer, what delivery services?  Might help someone else to know.... sux, guy.  Sorry to hear about all the hassles.... that's definitely not normal.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 06:42:31 AM »
It bought ebond.  They use r and l carriers.  The local carrier I already forgot about.  Fiberglass supply is who I am buying the glass and fillers from.  Barry at ebond seems to be the go to guy.  He is not who I initially dealt with,  but I ultimately did get ahold of him for some technical q and a stuff that the original sales guy couldn’t help with.  I would say don’t deal with anyone except Barry.  He was also name dropped on the other forum. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »
It bought ebond.  They use r and l carriers.  The local carrier I already forgot about.  Fiberglass supply is who I am buying the glass and fillers from.  Barry at ebond seems to be the go to guy.  He is not who I initially dealt with,  but I ultimately did get ahold of him for some technical q and a stuff that the original sales guy couldn’t help with.  I would say don’t deal with anyone except Barry.  He was also name dropped on the other forum.

Good to know.  I've heard Barry's name elsewhere as well....

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
Got the chine flats put up tonight.  They turned out fine.  I tried to see how strong a bottom panel scarf was after 5 days on the scarfing table.  Not a strong as I wanted it to be! 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:15:38 PM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 09:09:01 AM »
Several points ... first, the glass that'll be on either side of the joint has very high tensile strength that would prevent such a breakage, so not to worry.

Second, it's hard to judge the situation from my perspective.  For example, tests that I've done (and others have done) have failed to break the joint and breaks occurred on either side of the joint instead.  So why did yours break in the joint itself?  Dunno ... the possibilities are many.  Dust, sanded instead of planed scarfing (sanding seals wood cells, cutting leaves them open to wick epoxy into them).   Was each surface of the joint precoated carefully, repeatedly (brush) until the whole joint remained wet looking after letting it sit for 10 minutes?  This guarantees that the epoxy has wicked into the wood cells as far as it'll go.  Was the joint then filled with thickened epoxy right away or after the epoxy that you used to saturate the joint has cured?  Right away is best.  How thick was the thickened epoxy?  It needs to be soft enough to flow well inside the joint as it's pressed together, thereby acting as a gap-filling mix.  If the epoxy is too thick (too dry) and combined with not enough saturation of the wood cells prior to assembly, then it's possible that the wood itself drew epoxy out of the joint, leaving a too-dry mixture behind - which will be weaker.  Was the joint pressed together hard enough to squeeze all the epoxy out of some areas?  And for full strength, the epoxy should be kept warm (room temperature) and allowed to cure for at least a week before testing.  Hard to say.  I prefer to use a plane to cut scarf joint (no sanding), vacuum the dust out of each face of the joint, saturate very well before gluing, use a soft silica/wood flour mix for the gluing, and I want to see squeeze-out around the whole joint, but leave it loose enough that you know you're not squeezing all the epoxy out.  I avoid stressing the joint at all until it's been glassed.

To fix a busted joint, scrape and/or sand to remove all lumpy epoxy remains until the glue faces are smooth again, then plane off a little more to open up the wood cells, vacuum well, then saturate and glue as described.  Don't stress the joint until well cured and handle it gently until you can get some glass on it.  If no time to glass the whole thing, then just glass a 12" to 18" long strip of glass tape over the joint on each side and that'll reinforce it until you finish glassing later.

Hope that helps :)

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
For informational purposes:   The epoxy was still very far from cured.  I used my scraper and scraped it back down to bare wood in about a half hour.  The end of the scarf that looks completely epoxy starved was not part of the joint as that panel is wider the the other. 
   some Things I’m gonna do different this time.  Use foam roller instead of chip brush to wet scarf.   I like the way the foam roller puts down a consistent coat without over doing it.  Easy to recoat as well.  I can actually see the drier grain slurp up the epoxy.  More squeeze out, will also move scarf to a reinforced part of table so I know it’s good and flat and has something solid under it.   Vacuum all future epoxy parts. 
One thing I cannot control is temperature.  It cured as long as other parts just did t work.  MAybe if I get in the shop today and keep the heat up for most of the next three days it will get a better start on curing.  I also layed The shelf blanks lamination on top of the freshly glued scarf.  It turned out just fine. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »
What’s everyone using for cleaning sticky resin and hardener from tools?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »
Todd, I have used alcohol in the past. Works best if you get on it while epoxy is wet.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 03:38:07 PM »
For informational purposes:   The epoxy was still very far from cured.  I used my scraper and scraped it back down to bare wood in about a half hour.  The end of the scarf that looks completely epoxy starved was not part of the joint as that panel is wider the the other. 
   some Things I’m gonna do different this time.  Use foam roller instead of chip brush to wet scarf.   I like the way the foam roller puts down a consistent coat without over doing it.  Easy to recoat as well.  I can actually see the drier grain slurp up the epoxy.  More squeeze out, will also move scarf to a reinforced part of table so I know it’s good and flat and has something solid under it.   Vacuum all future epoxy parts. 
One thing I cannot control is temperature.  It cured as long as other parts just did t work.  MAybe if I get in the shop today and keep the heat up for most of the next three days it will get a better start on curing.  I also layed The shelf blanks lamination on top of the freshly glued scarf.  It turned out just fine.

Sounds perfect.  Put a couple of heat lamps on the joint for a couple of days....

Brian