Author Topic: Ed's boat in Perth  (Read 124266 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Ed's boat in Perth
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »
..Go for it!   :o   ;D

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »
hahahahahahahaha goodonyer Brian....... thunking aboat it..... we did this with new 'models' of fiberglass boats when I was apprentice, sliced up a smaller one, spaced out the parts as was required, temp filled in the blank bits, eye'd her up, chop'd and changed till it looked great, mixed half a 44 gal drum of bog, stood back an threw it on, then poor young apprentices - me - had to sand, fill, sand, fill, fair, fill'n sand till the fingers bleed, sprayed her up, cut'n polished, waxed 7 times, then took a mould off her. Then much more sanding wet'n dry till boss says so, cut'n polish, 7 more waxings, ready for the first lay up and pull - fingers crossed....
Gould those days the bog was made in shop, polyester resin and talc, chit you got real good at putting it on as the stuff was like rock sanding it, I got good at it quick!
Not waving....... Drowning!

Murray in N.Z.

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
Ed, ya old fart ...  When you was a boy/apprentice.. way back when....  Was that how you built Noahs Ark  ;) ... They called it Gopher wood in them days, now we know it was resin made by the go-for(apprentice). Thats probly why it took 50yrs to build it, continually cutting it up and adding length as more animals was discovered and he musta had your BBq eating and beer drinking mates to turn it over.

Looks good so far.

I'm going to enjoy the streamlined Pelin for a few summers then have a chainsaw party in the delaminating cabin once I have used it and know whats important eg Bait fridge seperate from food fridge.

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
Ed, ya old fart ...  When you was a boy/apprentice.. way back when....  Was that how you built Noahs Ark  ;) ... They called it Gopher wood in them days, now we know it was resin made by the go-for(apprentice). Thats probly why it took 50yrs to build it, continually cutting it up and adding length as more animals was discovered and he musta had your BBq eating and beer drinking mates to turn it over.

Looks good so far.

I'm going to enjoy the streamlined Pelin for a few summers then have a chainsaw party in the delaminating cabin once I have used it and know whats important eg Bait fridge seperate from food fridge. Farrrrk yea, do da separate fridge thing mate!!!! erm, dont ya hate it wen u've really cleaned ur hands and then.... ur nose..... still stinks!

Hiya Muzza, chit the shed got itself blown to bits 2day, phlat as'a pancake, wait a few weeks to let wind settle then build in again, new pipe (X2), new tarp, lottsa zip ties, can still glass tho, just tarp ova the hull screwed to the gunwales all round. Ain't no stoppin now!
Talkin of chain saws, I agree with ur cabin shape now,Brian convinced me, never thought of the interior side of it, lottsa room. I'll be cuttin the hull in half and adding a metre in width now.... buger, just cant seem to find a place to put the kettle in the cabin.....

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2012, 04:02:58 PM »
Sure ...turn it into a Float-tel!  Add a couple of queen sized beds and a bar ...party hardy! 

The boat's looking good there!  Is that your computer whiz helping you out?

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
Sure ...turn it into a Float-tel!  Add a couple of queen sized beds and a bar ...party hardy! 

The boat's looking good there!  Is that your computer whiz helping you out?

Brian

Why Brian, plurry great Idea...... lol, nope just room for me kettle!
That's my little grandson Noah..... he's a big 5. Great helper too.... All 3 boys love running the length of the hull and climbing as high as possible up the stem to slide down.... cute.

Storm on Sunday - I was fixin son's shed for upcoming winter.... shoudda been at home, that'l learn me, worst in 10 years, 160,000 power outages, roof & window damage abounds.

Chin chin ol chap
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:22:06 AM by Ed Snyder »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2012, 08:48:59 PM »
We get big wind storms here too ...sometimes with winds over 100 mph.  If this happened in the Lower 48, it'd be all over the news ...but hey, it's in Alaska ...who cares?   :o ;D

Murray in N.Z.

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2012, 02:59:02 AM »
There there Brian.. I care. Now that we got the emotional stuff over with git back to work.

Ed.. Saw on the telefishin that it reigned harder than old queen Liz over the weekend. Perthians wont be used to it... soon the lawns will be green instead of brown. Bet my mates irrigation was still running.... he didnt know how to turn it on and he certainly wont no how to turn it off HAHAHA.

You better get your Rse into gear.. I'm on track for escaping in Feb/March still & I wanna come fishing on the old Prinze Albert.... Once I secure employment I will help fill the V8s fuel tank! Hint Hint....

Murray in N.Z.

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2012, 07:01:02 AM »
Hi y'all
I saw that Mr Ed had slowed down on his boat so it being king low tides I put a couple of 44 gallon drums of fuel on the back of my 4x4 and drove over the sandflats to spend the weekend with him and inspire him. Unfortunately the tides wont be low for another 28 days for me to get back so I'm stuck here for a month.

Now I have decided to change his name to Noah and the boat is now known as the great Australian.
l
First thing I noticed is that this boat is bloody LOOOOOOONG and skinny looking. I reckon that he should just cut off 3 feet from the Rse end but noooo He's going to cut it up the guts and throw in another 2 or 3 feet.
Hopefully these pics show him in action... bloody vandal..

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »
He's giving me the gee willies... I'm closing my eyes...

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »
hahahahaha, trust me, I know what I'm doin..... ka-dunk.... oops fell off.
Been really disheartened by the event I am embarking on, see, I've already finished the hull, now having to finish it again isn't motivating I tell you!
Time has been in short supply - also being pooped after working and traveling 10 hrs a day usually does it.
But had last w/e off and started shaping the new main bearers to be glued in before the final cut, that got me chomping at the bit, a bit, then to turning her back over.... sigh.....

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »

I know that feeling ...the wife walked out last April so it's just me and my son here now.  (That's not necessarily a bad thing ya know).  BUT, all cleaning/cooking/etc around the house is done by me (not my work-ethic-lacking son) AND I work 8 hours a day plus 2 hours commuting.  Boat shop time has been dwindling... not to zero, but not as much as I'd like.  Of course, all that whiskey hasn't been helping either...

Brian

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2012, 12:57:01 AM »
hahahahaha..... yup know what ya mean, whiskey's good these times...... an'a nice cigar!
Bummer about the missus, mine left me about 22 yrs ago, came home to a 3 page letter!
Sad for the kiddies at the time..... never had'da missus since. Reckon there's the human race an the female race - 2 different feces er species lol

Don't get me wrong bud, oi still looking, cept they're always looking da udder way! ah chit.....

Cut the hull last noit, left 200mm attached then 800mm cuts. Not the bow, figure there may be some stress when time comes to turn her ova, incl the tranny. Both easy to cut when down sides up.

Not keen to post pic's on ur web as I don't want to give those wanna-be's ideas.
Unless one knows what one's doing better off not knowing.

Knocked off early 2day to glue up the 1st new bearer, she's 330 X 45 LVL stem to stern, took 100mm off the top in the forward cabin area, reckon the head room may enjoy it!

Thinking about 800mm wider will do her, then between the 2 bearers will be the diesel tankage and up the guts great storage for all those things one never uses or needs aboard.

ah well Brian, chin-up

Ed

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »
Hey Ed ...I'll buy all the beers you can handle if we can ever get together and tip a few.  Send pix privately ...I'll try not to worry too much.  For darn sure, make sure your wider and longer boat is made heavy enough or you won't get an appropriate waterline and the various stabilities that require it.  Now's the time to invite the big gals on board... and have a rockin' good time at it!  And if no big gals to keep ya company, then at least a few hundred pounds of ice and a lotta line ...

bd

PS: What the hell ...maybe I'll grab a gal and fly down to the land down under sometime and stop by your place to give you a shout... God willin'

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »
MATE! ur on!
Chit now there's a plan, big freezer under that sole, there's a bit'a weight, yea....... wymen? not sure aboat that in'a boat, bad luck aren't they?

Looking at cruisin 800 klm there'n back to fish, so need big tankage, also will have water ballast tankage to add weight wen needed to replace used fuel on those longer trips.

Chit that launched 28 ft'er can go! Looks great too for how he uses it huh.