Author Topic: Ed's boat in Perth  (Read 124274 times)

ChiefD

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ed's boat in Perth
« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »
Oh boy.......Brian you know I'm technically challenged!!!
I have a hard time typing let alone posting pictures. Since you have been so patient with me I'm going to give this my best shot.
All the build pics of the SeaRay so far are on my IPhone, not sure of the quality but that's what I have  or I could take a couple pics with a real camera of where I am now.
The 18 ft "Hawaiian style" skiff the boys and I built a couple of years ago is in the yard, it's been a great little boat. No build pictures as they were on my previous phone that died " gotta learn to back this stuff up" I'll take a couple shots of that with the real camera and TRY to post all of this on one of the other threads you mentioned.
Wish me luck!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
Luck!!   8) ;D

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2014, 09:11:07 AM »
Derrick... Of course you can post about other boats around here.  There are both the "Other Boat Building Projects" and "Other Boats that I Own" (new) forums that should capture 99% of what people might want to post about when it comes to non-Glacier Boats of Alaska boats... It's all good, all for fun :)

Brian

Mate!
Good on yer, thing is I envy blokes like you, I could never rebuild a boat, I woodn't know when to stop then probably have spent as much as starting from scratch!
I agree with Brian, post anything.... I do hahahaha
Not waving....... Drowning!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:14 AM »
Derrick... Of course you can post about other boats around here.  There are both the "Other Boat Building Projects" and "Other Boats that I Own" (new) forums that should capture 99% of what people might want to post about when it comes to non-Glacier Boats of Alaska boats... It's all good, all for fun :)

Brian

Mate!
Good on yer, thing is I envy blokes like you, I could never rebuild a boat, I woodn't know when to stop then probably have spent as much as starting from scratch!
I agree with Brian, post anything.... I do hahahaha

The 'anything' parts are the best parts!!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

ChiefD

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
Ed, you working too hard at your day job lately?
What's up with your boat, I'm sure your doing something!
We need our fix, pictures please.

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »
hahahahahaha

Look I can't sing or whistle so gotta keep day job see  ;D

The hull's been ready to turn back up for the last year, in fact the plurry last winter storm blew off the sun rotted tarp.
The boys started their own building company here so that now keeps me away after hours too.
Just finished QS on a house reno for them, oh and cut the end off of me thumb too, that's recovering with a graft, stitches out next week - 3 down 7 to go, and 7's a lucky number aye! (don't use a new 3/4" new craft knife to trim drywall, use a sureform shaver!)

ChiefD

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »
Wish all the best to your boys new company! Don't let um work you too hard.
Kid's I tell ya, helping one son build a Jeep, helping the other kid build himself a new house.
Haven't touched one of my boats in weeks and I don't even have a real job anymore!
Can't figure out how I got anything done when I did work.
God I love retirement!!!

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2014, 10:55:50 PM »
Yea Cheers ChiefD,

Started a project with the grandson yesterday, awesome little 6' dinghy, a Portuguese style dinghy.
Free plans from http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/dinghy1/simboii.htm - hope I spelt that all ok.

3 hours in and there's a boat, any chance the Gt Alaskan can be built this quick Brian?

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2014, 10:56:46 PM »
A few more pix

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2014, 11:27:53 PM »
Of course you can build a GA in 3 hours!  It's just a matter of a few adjustments to the process ...like for instance, build it to 3 inches long and call it good!

bd

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2014, 03:14:06 AM »
Yea!
That's it!!!!!!!  :P

Wish you told me that long time ago Brian............

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »
Yea!
That's it!!!!!!!  :P

Wish you told me that long time ago Brian............

:o ;D 8)

ChiefD

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2014, 03:13:20 PM »
Cool little project with your grandson Ed. Being half Portuguese I almost feel obligated to build one!

With our first grandchild due this January your build here inspires me to look for plans to build a little boat shaped rocker for her.

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2014, 09:34:07 AM »
Thank you Chief, look do it now, I have 2 no heck now 3 grandaughters, 2 of them live in the same house with the family & I.
You know daughters are GODS gift to fathers an especially grandfathers Chief....

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »
Ok Ya'll, I spent about 2 hours typing a post, and a pic to upload, so, Brian, if you find it anywhere on this site delete it as here goes again, and you know, the second time typing the same post ends up shorter, probably a good thing too....
Lol reminds me, heck we can do nutty things, tried changing the TV channel other day with the puta mouse.... shifted it left to the 3rd screen..... oops that's the TV lol, and looking for the mouse to turn the page when reading a mag at the desk? Don't work either hahahaha....

So here is the drawing for the Great Australian, attached, there's 12 hrs work in it, enjoy.
210 to 300 HP diesel donk - Cummins 6BTA, probably get one from truck wreckers and marinate it myself, where's the vinegar?
7 Deg shaft angle, probably a straight inline shaft setup with skeg - that's yet to be decided as it'll affect the planing.... good to protect the running gear from the hard stuff at sea.....
2 x 500 Lt epoxy tanks built in (done) that's $1200 - $1600 to fill'er up chit! We have a free market fuel supplies here, Mondays cheapest @$0.96 Lt to Sunday @ $1.24 Lt. Law says can't be changed day time, only midnite. But wharf prices are different....
Cockpit sole is @ 6" above LWL, saloon sole unfortunatly a few steps up, but the thing is to keep side decks at the cockpit about 26" for that net to pick up ur catch! So the aft sections are close to the original design Brian, as is the overall side elevation.
Like'd the curve up on the forward topsides, so drew that in, kept the cockpit topsides low.
Good amount of headroom throughout too, seems the elevation looks ok with it.
Got to engineer a way to build that cockpit coach roof without rear support posts, and keep weight off up there too, thinking 3 I beams in carbon the full length canter-levering on the rear cabin bulkhead, not much in it so cost wouldn't be too great, 1/4" ply-foam-ply with the balance of the build.
Cabin sides and rear saloon bulkhead also ply-foam-ply, 1/4" ply & 1/2" foam.
Cockpit sole will be 2 layers of 1/2" ply with a 1-3/4" camber, got so much Aussie hardwood from sites, Jarrah, heavy but solid, not a fan of spongy decks!

Next is the temp shed on a commercial site, with a small locker for me to stay over weekends, go missing so to speak!