Author Topic: Building shop to build GA  (Read 4160 times)

J.Wil

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Building shop to build GA
« on: April 16, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
Hi guys. I've been following along here and at fishyfish for years and I'm impressed with the support and workmanship I've seen. I'm planning a ga build for New England waters to extend my season and comfort and get offshore.
Currently building the shop. 22x36 with 10'6" ceilings. Can't seem to get pictures to work from iPhone. Door will be 10' wide by 10'4" tall. Should work right?
Jon

J.Wil

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Building shop to build GA
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
Here a picture.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
If you build as specified with a 3/4" skeg along the keel and handrails on the top of the pilot house (but NOT including any visor such as the Newport and Prince Rupert have), then the boat comes to about 92" (7' 8") tall.  So ... for building, you will be able to get the boat out alright, but watch those additions such as radar towers or tall visors, e.g. Prince Rupert.  You can add about 2 more feet for trailer, or about 10' tall on a trailer ... not counting visors or radar towers etc.  The 2-foot estimate for trailer is just that ... an estimate.  I'd ask around for some measurements from ground to top of a GA from builders who've already completed their boats for more details, but I hope these dimensions help.

Brian

PS:  Oh ... and welcome aboard!  The shop looks fantastic!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:22:04 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

J.Wil

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
Thanks Brian. Quick and dirty, timber foundation on compacted gravel. Might mean frequent building jig leveling as the building is just floating, levelish. Time to buy the building manual and study up! 

J.Wil

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
By the way, any New England Great Alaskans out there? I know of a few tolmans.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »
By the way, any New England Great Alaskans out there? I know of a few tolmans.

I'm not really sure ... I sell quite a few plans, but only a percentage of builders get involved online to let you know they're building.  At least half the time, I'm surprised by an announcement that one is done and in the water ... like that beautiful turquoise one down in Florida :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

J.Wil

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
Hey guys, I've found some valuable height info on Brian's FAQ page. I'm about to attach a ledger for a 3 bay lean to parking area (truck, tractor, future GA) onto the shop I'm building so I can get on with siding. My question is how far from the transom or bow is the back of the cabin? I want to make sure I can back the boat in all the way without hitting the rafters. Now is the time to adjust height or change the pitch. Thanks!

J.Wil

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »
I suppose if I bought a set of plans I'd have this info! Buying em now, don't know what I've been waiting for.

J.Wil

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 07:56:40 PM »
Windows are in the shop. Now I can side, wire and insulate. Build the big boat door and maybe I can start great alaskaning by 2020.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 07:03:00 AM »
Windows are in the shop. Now I can side, wire and insulate. Build the big boat door and maybe I can start great alaskaning by 2020.

When you wire, run the wires horizontally through the studs (drill large holes) at about 24" off the floor or so ... this is typical of builders, so the wires will be where expected by folks in the future that may have to tear into a wall.  Also, make sure you run the wires long near the receptacles, with about 8-10 inches of extra wire in the wall (a downward belly in the wiring) .... when receptacles get replaced, it's common to pull a little more wire out of the wall so you can trim the old ends and strip new wire.  The most common mistake made by those wiring their own stuff is to have wiring going from one receptacle to another drum-tight ... really sux if you're the one that has to repair something.  Anyway ... just thinking out loud.

bd