Author Topic: Boat build postponed...at least I got a CNC  (Read 2008 times)

shefloats

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Boat build postponed...at least I got a CNC
« on: February 24, 2018, 01:12:04 PM »
Pretty new here but I have been following along for awhile in search of my ultimate goal....a economical offshore boat. So the title says it all my project has been postponed due to me and my wifes CNC business start, but honestly I am a bit happy for the delay because the end result will be a better boat. So my reason for the post is as follows.

1. Brian I have purchased the plans and I'm interested in the cad files. Is it possible to gain access to these for personal use or is this something I would need to setup for my own project? Im sure the companies selling kits are paying royalties and I fully understand the cautions regaurding intellectual property.

2. I would be willing to work with some people simply for material/shipping costs on general boat parts in the preparation for my own project.

so appreciate any input and lets see some ideas/drawings that I can digitize and get going on. Shop will be up in about 2-3 weeks for production as I am relocating some equipment to make room. Let me know.

Thanks!

-Jeff
"She Floats"
Charleston, SC

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Boat build postponed...at least I got a CNC
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
My drawings are all in AutoCAD format (.dwg) and all of them include detail far beyond simple outlines.  It is not hard to create scaled 0" width outline type drawings - but I'm not sure how much time would be involved yet.  Are you thinking of selling GA kits as well?  What part of the country are you in?  You'll need to research your own CNC machine to see what formats it will accept.  How many axis does  your CNC machine have?

Brian

PS: Congratulations on your CNC machine and new business!!!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

shefloats

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boat build postponed...at least I got a CNC
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
Thanks Brian!

I can import .dwg files into my current cad/cam software without issue. Selling kits wouldn't be an issue if there is a demand for them in this area and the margins where right. I am located in Charleston, sc. Considering our offshore commute (50+ miles) once people knew about them here there would be a good bit of interest I think.

I have the cnc router parts pro machine with a commercial spindle on it. Very capable machines especially in the types of cuts required for the boat.

Im excited :) just thankful I have my current boat to keep me occupied until my build becomes reality.

Jeff
"She Floats"
Charleston, SC