Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 5367 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2019, 07:31:17 AM »

The boat has a LOT of capacity .... Kent Cannon, when his 29-footer is loaded for bear, has 8000-8500 lbs on the water when he sets out.  That represents a payload of around 4000# ... pretty crazy.  A 30' Kodiak would carry even more.

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Dan Boccia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »
Official launch date will be July 17 in Seward to coincide with my electronics supplier's visit to Seward to work on some boats there. He will assist with starting up and commissioning all the electronics and showing me the full range of capabilities, which will certainly save me months of reading manuals and trial and error.

GPS antenna and forward deck lights installed, just waiting on a roof wire seal to finish wiring the lights. Wipers done, radar and nav lights previously mounted, so all the outside electrical involving holes through the cabin (I think) is just about done.

One of the handiest items West Marine sells are the antenna clips shown below - inexpensive, very handy, and effective. A rare trilogy in marine equipment....

It's going to be a very busy couple of weeks rounding up safety gear, getting the anchor system in place, tidying up all the wire runs, and possibly getting my solar panel mounted if there's time.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »
Fantastic on the upcoming launch!  Seward's a beautiful place to christen the boat and have it's first launch! 

Brian

PS: Are you planning on arranging for some good on-the-water pix, perhaps including side views of the boat on plane and what not?  Just curious ... looking forward to seeing your beautiful boat action :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:50:30 AM by Brian.Dixon »
><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -

Dan Boccia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2019, 03:28:25 AM »
I will not have another boat running with me on this trip, so not likely to get any decent photos. That will happen on a future trip unless I get lucky. I'm stoked to get it wet finally!

Todd j

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2019, 06:38:14 AM »
Congratulations.  Im sure everything will go well!!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »
I will not have another boat running with me on this trip, so not likely to get any decent photos. That will happen on a future trip unless I get lucky. I'm stoked to get it wet finally!

I'm stoked too!  All your time and effort will be worth it when you look out through that windshield and hit that throttle.... :)

Brian

Dan Boccia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2019, 12:04:00 AM »
Last electrical item completed (other than solar system, which will be later) - wiring the forward deck lights. Marine Beam usually provides a long cable with their lights, but in this case I had to run a cable above the roof and make the splice outside, which I'm not a big fan of. In case anyone wonders how to seal wires through the roof, I have been using these wire seals from Scanstrut which I like a lot. Other brands make similar offerings. First you drill your hole for your cable, then mount the base of the cable seal, then run the wire through the hole, make the connection with heat-shrink butt connectors (in this case a step-down butt connector from my 16 gauge to 20 gauge from the light), seal the whole works with adhesive heat-shrink, so it grips the virgin cable on both ends, then place the split-rubber gasket, secure the top over the gasket and you have a leak-free assembly. Finally I used a zip-tie base and zip ties to anchor the cable. Should be a trouble-free installation.

Fired up the electronics and realized I have not connected the sonar, and further realized I don't have the sonar cable and there are none in town so that probably means no depth-sounder or fish-finder on the first outing next week, bummer! Going to have to run careful, following the charts, to stay off the bottom.