Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 3249 times)

Todd j

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 10:26:03 PM »
Dan, do the holes under the splash well drain to the bilge?  It almost looks like a tube through to the transom on the starboard side unless its light playing a trick on my eyes.

Dan Boccia

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2019, 10:41:40 PM »
Todd, I'm not following you perfectly. The scuppers that drain the entire back deck go through the lockers on each side via fiberglass tubes, and out the transom to drain outside the boat. The splashwell has 2 scuppers the drain outside the boat. Does that answer your question?

Todd j

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 06:45:09 AM »
Yes.  You answered my question.  Im interested in how they work for you.  I plan to do something like you have.  Have you thought of a name for your boat?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »
Brian - the wiper system is all manufactured by Roca, distributed by Imtra. Regular radial wipers on such small windows will only remove a small amount of material, so to be effective you're really pushed toward the pantograph style. I notice Bayweld is using Roca gear on their boats, and Dave from Heavy Weather Boats is sold on them too, won't touch anything else.

Thanks, Dan ... I will stick with Roca if I ever build a big boat again!

Dennis - Anthony (of Cook Inlet Boats, who did my marine carpentry) broadcast medium lag sand over fresh paint, and once that dried, painted a couple more coats, or something along those lines. He did a test on KiwiGrip, which I was pretty excited about, and said it was a joke. Anthony is pretty conservative about the non-skid, as I'm inclined to be out early on ski trips or late on hunting trips, and ice on deck is a real possibility, so non-skid has to be a bit more aggressive than it would be otherwise. After more thought, and seeing the results, I agree. Slipping off the boat is a very poor option up here.
<snip>

My worst slippery deck experience was on someone ELSE's boat ... a fiberglass one.  He'd washed out the cockpit with dish soap and water ... but didn't rinse well.  It was fine when the deck was dry on the way out, but the weather and seas got really rough and we got a lot of spray in the boat ... which turned the residual soap into DECK LUBE... I nearly broke my ankle, got nasty bruises all around my shins, fell several times in spite of trying to hang on and move carefully.  Needless to say, fiberlgass is slippery and his 'poser' imprinted deck was NOT anti-skid.  Bad juju!  LESSON: Wash your boat out with AMMONIA water, let dry, spray down with Chlorox water to disinfect.  Done.  Do NOT use SOAP!!

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Dan Boccia

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2019, 08:42:53 PM »
Fair enough, no soap.

And here is the question about name again........nothing has struck me yet. It will come in time. Might have to take it out a couple times and get it into its natural habitat for a name to appear. Doesn't look very happy sitting on a boat trailer.....

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2019, 07:23:56 AM »
<snip>
And here is the question about name again........nothing has struck me yet. It will come in time. Might have to take it out a couple times and get it into its natural habitat for a name to appear. Doesn't look very happy sitting on a boat trailer.....

That's the best way ... let the boat inspire the name.  You don't want to name it after a person or you may end up like Jim O'Meara ... who had a wife named Kim.  He named his boat the Kim-O .... then they got divorced ... the he had to change the 'K' to a 'J' and his boat became the Jim-O  :D

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -

Dan Boccia

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2019, 05:49:12 PM »
"Dr. Seuss" came up as a possible boat name, and I always loved his books so got a kick out of that. Imagine the call on the radio.....

Meanwhile, I'm approaching completion of my main electrical design. This is all in place already minus a few fuses, the battery monitor, solar system, and accessory fuse panel near the panel. Getting it all down in good detail ironed out some misunderstandings I had and revealed a few places I still needed fuses. Excellent exercise, plus when finalized this is getting laminated and screwed inside my aft electrical cabinet door.

Still debating the pot puller, really want to get the Electrodyne and never look back, but it's awfully big. Might be OK with a Discovery Bay model on a custom davit coming out of my aft SB cabinet. The Saf-T-Pullers and related are having production problems I'm told, and I just don't like the looks of them anyway. I do want to pull all 4 pots in one go and get on with things, so the maybe I've gone to all the trouble to make the boat light so I can buy a big hauler.....

Dan Boccia

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 01:58:32 AM »
A day of going backwards to bond the fuel fill fittings and fuel tanks. Bonding these items is both required by code and makes perfectly good common sense. I've heard the call on the radio about someone's boat catching on fire, and I'm trying to avoid that through careful wiring.

Carefully found the underfloor sub-stringers with a stud-finder and measurements, successfully hole-sawed into each tank compartment, tapped the supporting lip of the tank without hitting wood or the tank, and bonded the tanks using a 1/4" bolt and #12 wire, using conductive grease just to be on the safe side, and 2 layers of heat shrink wherever the wire went through a bulkhead. Mixed up some thick epoxy and used just enough to get the plug to stick, trying to avoid dripping any epoxy onto the tank and wires. I'll fill the remaining gaps and center holes tomorrow, and eventually smooth it all out and touch it up with the deck paint. Good enough, very happy to be done with this unhappy job.

For the fuel fill, I took out one of the screws, used a long bolt, and set it with conductive grease rather than a dab of sealant so as to repel water while still getting good electrical conduction between the bolt and tank fill. Bonded the bottom of the bolt and ran it back to the bonding/grounding bus.

With all this back-work done, I anticipate some serious forward progress in the next couple weeks. Mostly electrical and electronics. Just keep drilling holes in the boat, eventually it will get done!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2019, 06:16:29 AM »
Better safe than sorry!  Bonding (keeping everything at ground potential) also helps prevent corrosion.  Even though these boats are wood and glass, not metal, it's worthwhile to own and read Nigel Warren's book, Metal Corrosion in Boats too.

Brian