Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 2018 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Why not use a separate hydraulic steering system for the kicker, say a small Baystar?  Or even cable?  Small steering wheel along the gunnel or on the aft house bulkhead?  I've never tried doing this and haven't seen it done either ... am I missing something?

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Dan Boccia

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2018, 09:52:36 PM »
Interesting to hear that feedback on the Panther T5, thanks!

Brian, a lot of the time using the kicker, I'm inside the cabin, moving real slow through a bay, sightseeing in the morning or just going somewhere super slow. I'd much rather be inside, and really just wanted to be right at the helm. If I put a steering wheel somewhere on the back deck, I start running out of storage space real quick to hang things, and I have to be outside. I actually don't troll much, the kicker is something I use when I'm in no rush, or as an emergency backup.

I heard of a marina back east that would install a single helm/steering wheel, and run the hydraulics to both engines. Where the line teed to go to each engine, they had valves, so you could valve over to one engine or the other. Pretty simple and intriguing....

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »
Interesting to hear that feedback on the Panther T5, thanks!

Brian, a lot of the time using the kicker, I'm inside the cabin, moving real slow through a bay, sightseeing in the morning or just going somewhere super slow. I'd much rather be inside, and really just wanted to be right at the helm. If I put a steering wheel somewhere on the back deck, I start running out of storage space real quick to hang things, and I have to be outside. I actually don't troll much, the kicker is something I use when I'm in no rush, or as an emergency backup.

I heard of a marina back east that would install a single helm/steering wheel, and run the hydraulics to both engines. Where the line teed to go to each engine, they had valves, so you could valve over to one engine or the other. Pretty simple and intriguing....

Hmmmm.... First thoughts:  OK, why not a little 6" wheel inside the house for the kicker by itself?  It would perhaps fit on top of the helm or ?  And ... T'ing off the hydraulics to steer two motors of very different size, I have to wonder about hydraulic rates versus 2 different sized hydraulic rams that have different ranges of motion.  Perhaps the shop that you mention is the expert on this and can dial it all in ... it would be GREAT to be able to trim the main up out of the water and just use the kicker and single steering wheel for both.  Need is the mother of invention....

Brian
><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -

Dan Boccia

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2018, 12:57:20 AM »
A bit of progress to report: First of all, I installed the Panther T5 kicker steering and although it takes some fiddling and bending of the drive arm, it seems to function nicely. I'm not very impressed with the wiring connections - they are pretty flaky for a system that is supposedly designed for salt water use. We'll see how the wiring holds up but it does functionally move the engine back and forth as advertised.

The boat is at the upholstery shop now, and I'm happy to show the reversible seat back I came up - this is one of those things that I was surprised I could not find hardware or a refined design for, and I came up with all kinds of schemes before a friend helped me come up with this one. First of all, the seat back is a piece of 3/8" AC plywood with a 3/16" channel routed into it for each seat stay. I then laminated scrap 1/4" maple plywood left over from a cabinet project. There are no fasteners - it fits tight enough to not move around and loose enough to take apart easily. The seat stays go through the slots in the seat cabinet, and I made up maple retainer blocks that fit inside the cabinet to receive the stays. I'm pretty sure it will be too flexible, so I'll have a spine welded onto the stays to take the flex out of them. Finally, I'll powder coat them black so they don't stain the fabric and cabinet. No fasteners anywhere, no pieces to lose during use, and very space-efficient.

Rbob

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2018, 08:01:46 AM »
Dan,

Looking good as always, I like the seat design, sitting forward for travel and facing aft to watch the fishing poles.  /cant wait to see more.

Bob

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »
Dan,

Looking good as always, I like the seat design, sitting forward for travel and facing aft to watch the fishing poles.  /cant wait to see more.

Bob

Those seat backs, with a little spring in them, will be comfortable too.  I like how you can slide all components apart and then stow the seats in a cupboard or deep drawer ... out of the way, especially when lowering the dinette table to convert the seats into a bunk.

bd

Dan Boccia

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2018, 01:36:27 AM »
Upholstery all complete, including the seat back posted about previously. Very happy with this! Anyone in Southcentral Alaska should consider Fine Line in Anchorage for their upholstery - fantastic outfit to work with. The cuddy bunks are over 7'6" long, and 7'9" wide at 12" forward of the aft cuddy bulkhead. Dinette "bunk" is 5'9" as is, and will be 6'9" when I get the bracket in place to hold the seat back flat to extend the forward portion of the bunk. Finally, had the seat back stays powder-coated satin black for the final touch.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »

Wow!  The seats and upholstery turned out great!  What do you think of the bigger-than-queen-size bed you've got up front?  Pretty roomy, eh?  You can definitely live aboard for good long trips in your boat ... warm, dry, room to sit and sleep in comfort.  You're going to be addicted to this boat pretty fast....

Brian

Todd j

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »
Wow, the level of craftsmanship and imagination used in these builds is awesome!