Author Topic: A house for my GA  (Read 28976 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: A house for my GA
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
I’m the guy holding the skinny end.  My channel is teamshootemintheface.   I’m not a videographer.  Just cut and paste more or less.   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »
I’m the guy holding the skinny end.  My channel is teamshootemintheface.   I’m not a videographer.  Just cut and paste more or less.

Awesome ... I'll check into your channel.  :)

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2018, 11:45:07 PM »
Took some time to go lobster diving.  Had a good time and got a freezer full of Bugs til next season.  Got the office space finished minus some finish work.  Built a few shelves to stack stuff on in the old shop.  There is never enough room for all my junk no matter where it goes.   Need another building!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2018, 06:03:55 AM »

Where exactly are you located?  Lobsters ... love'm :)

We've been in our house here in Idaho (we moved out of Alaska) for around 2 years and we're not even halfway done with the projects around here ... mostly storage and yard stuff, and house/property maintenance (previous owners let a lot of things just go.....).   We caught our fish when the guy at Louie's Wild Alaskan Fish threw them at us ..... haha.  He and his family fish AK commercially and do instant on-board filleting, vacuum packing, and flash freezing ... sushi grade across the board.  We drop about $300/year at his place ... he stops in Boise just once a year for a couple of weeks and then gone.  That's the one thing we miss about Alaska - the fishing and fresh fish!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »
I live in a little town named Veneta in Oregon.  We do our lobster diving in  Channel Islands off the coast of Santa Barbara  Ca.  As life would have it my fish stocks are low.  I smoke most of my lings and rockfish and eat a fillet a day with lunch.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
I know right where you're at ... we just drove through there on this summer's vacation over to the coast.  We covered the Lincoln City to Florence stretch, north to south, then headed back through Eugene (with no stops there!) and up the McKenzie River hwy and over to Bend .... then across the desert back to Ida-who....

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »
Today I think I finished the building build.  Sit down and stand up work areas installed, both doors finished.  I had ratholed 2 countertops and 2 solid birch fire doors from a old job.  They been sitting around for ten years.  Nice to put them to work.  Built a bookshelf and wired in a welder circuit and sheeted the inside of my old shop.  Got lots of stuff on shelves in the old shop too.  I’m so done there isn’t even a punch list!!  I have a huge shoulder mount of a bull elk to bring home now that I have a place to hang it.   No more work on the office til it lands on the wall. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2018, 06:43:02 PM »
From the archives

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2018, 06:32:23 AM »
Awesome elk... and with a bow too!  Definitely will look good in the man cave :)

bd

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
What state are you in. Nice elk

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2018, 10:48:51 PM »
I caught up with honey do list long enough to make it into the boat shed for a day and a half.  My wood stove idea wasn’t well received so I built myself a gravity fed pellet stove.  Haven’t had a chance to fire it up yet. Still have probably a days worth of fine tuning.  Hope this thing works!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »
Interesting ... You'll have to let us know how it turns out ....  Up in Alaska, at least in the interior (Fairbanks and points north) where transfer stations are used for local garbage drop-off, including lots of waste oil from oil changes and other sources, people use a modified/improved version of the Mother Earth Waste Oil Heater.  I was building the 'improved version' right about the time we moved out of Fairbanks down to the Anchorage area ... never completed it, but it would've meant free heat for the shop:

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2018, 06:38:42 AM »
If this works like I hope it does?  I plan to add a oil burner to use up motor and cooking oil that I normally would recycle or just dump out.  Our climate is such that I expect this stove will not get used as steady as it would further north.  It should at least take the chill off

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
If this works like I hope it does?  I plan to add a oil burner to use up motor and cooking oil that I normally would recycle or just dump out.  Our climate is such that I expect this stove will not get used as steady as it would further north.  It should at least take the chill off

The original Mother Earth News version had a design flaw... the way it worked, the hotter the flame burned, the more oil that would be fed to the burner ... positive feedback loop makes for big'm fire!!  To counter that, you had to keep tweaking the oil flow valve to reduce the flow.  The first redesign (see the link) worked well and fixed this issue - a friend of mine outside of Fox, Alaska used it full time in his shop and it worked great.  Probably the biggest downside is that the oil needs to be gravity fed, which means you have to refill something that's higher than the heater ... up a ladder, stairs, or up a hillside outside the shop.  Regardless, if using free oil (or even buying cheap dirty used oil), the heater DOES work well....

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2018, 06:47:21 AM »
Something wonky with this forum. I cannot post pics Brian.