Author Topic: A house for my GA  (Read 29525 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: A house for my GA
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2018, 04:41:06 AM »
Looks great to me!  Are you going to add work benches?  For boat building, I find it useful to have a mid-sized bench with solid caster wheels that lets you move it around now and then - same for an epoxy bench.  When do you think you'll start cutting wood and messing up your beautiful new floor?  :D

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2018, 06:46:20 AM »
I was planning a stationary bench 16’ long to the left of the swinging doors. Double barrel wood burner with forced air heat exchanger on the opposite side.  Flu pipe would likely interfere with the door opening all the way so that’s not solid yet.  Couple of home built cabinets between windows aft of the work bench, and a shelf up high in the gable above the cedar covered wall.  I scored some 8” swivel casters that are super duty with grease zerks.   I still have loose ends outside.  I want everything done before I bring in wood.  It’s getting close, but I shot the wad. I need another pile of money.  Was hoping to not have to dip into my money from the sale of the phantom.  We shall see. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »
It's OK to take a break and recuperate the finances ... pretty typical to do that.  Just buy enough to build the transom and get that done, then it'll be forever nagging you to come back and add the rest of the boat.  You don't want to accidentally postpone the project so long that you never do get your really cool new Great Alaskan!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
I can’t even make up my mind what it is I want to to build.  Stringers might be a better bet!   It’ll happen soon enough.  I’m now toying with the idea of making a door between the boat barn and my office-ish space I have yet to build.  I need another purge to make more headway.  Have too much unused building material in my way to really even start the build. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »
Meanwhile on another note.  This was taken a couple weeks ago.  Some friends put it up on FB.  It’s caused quite a stir.  Anyway, hope you guys like the pic if nothing else.  I sure do!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »
Scuba diving for baby ling cod eh?  We usually throw the small ones like that back .... HAHAHAAA... Sweet catch!  ::) ;D 8)

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »
We don't shoot the bog ones.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2018, 01:01:10 PM »
Should have read big ones.  Read out loud sounds like a cult leader from Antelope. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2018, 11:04:58 PM »
Made a little more progress.   I painted the end of the building.  Didn’t put metal on the sides visible from the house.  We’re not locked into any particular color that way.  Wired the building for power, just need to pop in a new breaker to the panel. I shuffled some stuff and got rid of a trailer full of junk.  Can’t believe how much junk I kept over the last 20 years.  The new office is next. It should allow me a nice place to draw and look over plans. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2018, 07:37:06 AM »
Thanks for the update.  We did something similar on breakers .... the house had a 200A drop, but only about 85A accounted for in house circuits/breakers and never had a problem.  So when I built the shop, I split the main into two 100A mains, one that went underground for 150' over to the shop.  People say "not less than 200!" for shops ... but hey, I ran a 100% duty cycle heavy duty Ingersoll Rand air compressor and a host of tools, 2 floors of lighting and plug-ins etc off that 100A without any problems!

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2018, 06:42:03 AM »
The boat building office is taking shape.  I added a 12x12 office adjacent to the boat shed.  Plan on a sliding door between the spaces. Needed a place to plug in a laptop and spread out drawings without using up shop space.  The new room will have room for a beverage fridge and freezer for bait and gathered goodies.  A desk and a small bench go in to spread out junk without clobbering up the computer desk.  Might even put up a couple trophy mounts for some ambiance.  All framed in, and sheeted with HDO plywood so every surface will take a nail.  Little paint and will start moving in the finish part’s. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »
I like the office space idea ... you'll be glad to keep the fine random-orbital sander induced dust out of your computer and off of everything in your office too!  Keep the pix coming!

Brian

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2018, 08:08:21 AM »
Meanwhile on another note.  This was taken a couple weeks ago.  Some friends put it up on FB.  It’s caused quite a stir.  Anyway, hope you guys like the pic if nothing else.  I sure do!

How much did this monster weigh???

Thx,
Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2018, 10:45:40 PM »
That fish was just over 30 pounds.  Our best is 2 inches longer and 37 pounds.    Those takes make for some pretty good fish stories.  I have several vids on my YouTube channel if anyone wants to watch spearfishing and lobster hunting. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2018, 06:01:16 AM »
Got a link or a name to search for to find your video channel?  Are you in the picture above?  We'll have ling cod in a few days .... from Louie's Wild Alaskan Seafood in Boise, Idaho ... Alaskan fishing family with their own boat, onboard flash freezing and vacuum packing ... and they process immediately upon catching.  It doesn't get much better than that except for the fun of catching it yourself.  Louie's comes into town twice a year, 4 weeks or so each time depending on how the catch went.

Thx,
Brian