Author Topic: A house for my GA  (Read 1413 times)

Todd j

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: A house for my GA
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2018, 06:40:08 AM »
One step closer.  Got the dirt leveled out in prep for gravel.  Taking a much needed break to put up some Kokanee.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2018, 05:09:47 AM »
Good on ya!

Kokanee?  Where do you live?  I've got my little teensy 14' skiff all prepped but have made it out just once .... the boat moves too quickly, even at idle, so I got a sea anchor to drag along... haven't tried it yet.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by greenhorns -
 http://www.glacierboats.com

Todd j

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »
We live in Veneta, Or. Just west of Eugene.  We like to fish at crescent lake.  The limits are low,  but the scenery is great and the water is crystal clear

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2018, 06:56:04 AM »
We live in Veneta, Or. Just west of Eugene.  We like to fish at crescent lake.  The limits are low,  but the scenery is great and the water is crystal clear

Have you gone up to Green Peter?  It's a spectacular beauty, limits are high ... but it's a long lake and you have to have a boat that'll get you there in order to fish it effectively.  My driftboat with 6-hp motor wasn't up to snuff....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by greenhorns -

Todd j

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »
I currently have a 21í phantom sport Jon with a 200 Optimax.   Currently for sale. Itís our Kokanee chaser.  I also have a zodiac mark V hd wth a 115 tiller steer. The latter being my dive/reef fishing rig. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:29 AM »
I currently have a 21í phantom sport Jon with a 200 Optimax.   Currently for sale. Itís our Kokanee chaser.  I also have a zodiac mark V hd wth a 115 tiller steer. The latter being my dive/reef fishing rig.

If you're careful and stay close to shore, the 200 hp Optimix 'might' get you home (LOL ...  ::))

Brian

Todd j

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2018, 06:50:56 AM »
Runs like a raped ape!   No freeboard !

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2018, 08:54:45 AM »
Runs like a raped ape!   No freeboard !

;D :o 8)

Todd j

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »
 Brian,  care to expand on your Optimax hate.  Iíll tell ya a little story after I hear back

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2018, 05:13:12 AM »
Brian,  care to expand on your Optimax hate.  Iíll tell ya a little story after I hear back

I don't hate Optimaxes!  It was a joke about the hot horsepower...

Brian

Todd j

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
Oh. Ok. Anyway.  Iím a firm believer about putting all the law will allow on the transom.  Thatís why I have a 115 on my inner tube boat.  So, Saturday I had a guy who was hot for my jet boat.  Drove from Idaho.  I had THE boat he was looking for.  Of course that made my price firm and no room for wiggle.  I got to the launch a hour before he was expected and put the boat in.  As it happened this was day 2 of our Kokanee extravaganza and we had not left the house since I had one on the line.   
   Sooo.  I backed the boat off the trailer and did a lazy swoop out across the river and the boat started to crap out. I got it pointed up stream and got the kicker rigged and started.  By now I was without power and just above the first little riffle.  I couldnít manage any forward progress to speak of.  I got it to the bank on the last bit of gravel before there was no place to tie off or stand.  Lots of cutbank downriver.  I blasted my way through the blackberry brush and brambles to the launch where my wife was waiting with a WTF look on her face.  I was covered with cottonwood blowy things and scratched up like I was lovin on a littler of barn cats.
  Long story short Idaho guy and his wife were great.  He was a diesel mechanic and new stufff.  We re rigged the kicker motorís tank and pulled some hoses off the Optimax and squeeze balled the motor to life on the trailer.  All this after my buddy drug me back with his v8 I board jet. 
   Cost me 3K with no leverage to sell.  Itís gone now and I have a sack of dollars for the ne t project

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
I had bad luck like that once ... running my driftboat on Green Peter Reservoir in Oregon with a big electric motor on it.  There were so many you-know-what's at the dock when I was trying to put in, and NOT letting me in even though I was yelling that my battery was dying.  I was stuck motoring against the wind and unable to dock ... until the battery did run out.  Yelling for someone to toss a rope only got angry stares ..... as I drift away on the wind.  Rowed/ran the boat up against a mud bank at the bottom of rocky cliffs on the far side of the lake and waited until the wind dropped ...due to the sun going down, THEN we were able to row back to the dock.  Sucked - lost lots of hours.  People at boat ramps can really suck.... And I've been a HUGE fan of using ONLY gas motors ever since then.

bd

Todd j

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2018, 10:37:23 AM »
People are assholes!   Kokanee fishing good.  5 man limits in a hour or so.  Fish average a 3Ē bigger over years past.   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »
People are assholes!   Kokanee fishing good.  5 man limits in a hour or so.  Fish average a 3Ē bigger over years past.

Good on the Kokes. They're running big here this year too :).  16" or longer at Anderson Ranch already.... they'll hit 20" by season's end.

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • NW Outdoor Writer
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2018, 08:24:31 AM »
When you limit at Crescent, head down to Odell and do it again. Makes for an exceptional day...
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.