Author Topic: A house for my GA  (Read 28981 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: A house for my GA
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »
I have done more painting since this was taken

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 12:55:05 PM »
I don't know why some photos came out upsideways and super huge.  Suggestions for next time ?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
Wow!  What a huge amount of work you've done!  The vaulted ceiling came out nice, didn't it!  How much height did you gain inside the shop?

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
Yes it has been several hundred hours of work I'm sure.  More to go.  Hard to get much done when your only home 2 days a week.  It is at least 2 feet at the door where it counts.  I think after I level the dirt and add gravel and concrete I will gain about
Foot or so.  More in the middle,  before you reach the
Door Of course.  I was running out of gable for the
Door size I was shooting for.  Needed room for a header too. Per another of my posts I will have no less than 9'-3". 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »

Really love the pix and info ... the shop upgrades are great.  About the only way to grab another  inch or two in the door due to 'running out of gable' is to use a steel I-beam instead of a wood or wood laminate beam.  I had a garage where I thought about going that route once ... but ended up living with it as-is.  Cost is always a factor - and why I didn't bother with the I-beam.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
If you look closely you can see that to go higher I would have to be narrower.  I think I need the width to make the tight turn coming out of the building.  Once out unfortunately it will never fit back in.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 03:13:34 PM »
Yes it has been several hundred hours of work I'm sure.  More to go.  Hard to get much done when your only home 2 days a week.  It is at least 2 feet at the door where it counts.  I think after I level the dirt and add gravel and concrete I will gain about
Foot or so.  More in the middle,  before you reach the
Door Of course.  I was running out of gable for the
Door size I was shooting for.  Needed room for a header too. Per another of my posts I will have no less than 9'-3".
If you run a truss directly over the door, you wouldn’t need a header as the truss would carry the roof load...
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
If you look closely you can see that to go higher I would have to be narrower.  I think I need the width to make the tight turn coming out of the building.  Once out unfortunately it will never fit back in.
I cleared the OHD by four inches. Once off the jig and on the trailer, it was too tall to go back in. I have considered putting a 14, OHD on the end facing the street, because I can get a fourteen foot door in there. Haven’t found the ambition yet though.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 07:01:59 PM »
I didn’t consider trussing the opening.  That would have a big ol’ Opening in the end of the building.   I’m not so disappointed in hindsight since I can never get it back in there, especially trailered.   A rectangular opening was simple to build doors for.   I am still amazed what my elbow grease has got me to this point.  I am however losing steam!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »
This past weekend I was able to do some roof demo.  My ridge had some weird continuous cupola/vent thingy.  It had 4 layers of asphalt shingles on it.  30+ feet of it must have nearly 800 pounds or more.  I did manage to get the steel roof on one side before I got heat stroked.  Too hot, too soon!  Spent the next 18 hours in bed to sick to do anything.  Not smart!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2018, 05:19:42 AM »
This past weekend I was able to do some roof demo.  My ridge had some weird continuous cupola/vent thingy.  It had 4 layers of asphalt shingles on it.  30+ feet of it must have nearly 800 pounds or more.  I did manage to get the steel roof on one side before I got heat stroked.  Too hot, too soon!  Spent the next 18 hours in bed to sick to do anything.  Not smart!

Don't overdo the sun exposure!

4 layers of shingles if crazy!  Even 2 layers is too heavy .... glad to hear that stuff is coming down and new metal roofing is going up.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2018, 10:50:47 PM »
I now have all but one gable to flash and one outside corner!  At least it’s dry inside now.  I am a little dissatisfied with my ability to make honey from dog poop in this leg of the project.  I have been able to make everything look pretty good so far.  It was impossible to get it “ right “ when nothing is plumb, level, square, or straight.  It is what it is I guess.  The dry stuff inside don’t care anyhow!  At least I have a 4 day weekend to screw off before I return to OT.  Probably rain anyway.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
Pick a good milestone and take a little break .... breaks are part of the project!  As for out of plumb... well, every house or building I've ever seen was non-square or off in something.  Try taking a few measurements and checking a few corners on other buildings sometime.  You'll only notice these things when you are building and checking.  On the first house that my dad and I built, we were super careful, wanting everything to be 'right' ... and when the sheetrock guy came over to do the sheetrocking, he said "Wow!  I've never seen a house so square before!" (and he was experienced .... 'Ding!  Light turns on!  Don't waste time making things perfect square!  Get the job done!".  Things are only square in the CAD drawings..... :)

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2018, 11:31:57 PM »
The local home improvement store had LED light fixtures on sale for 15$. I bought 12 of them and added 6 in the building.  I wired them so the could swing down and hang on the wall as well as from overhead.  There is a lot of light in there now.  Built 3 or 4 more sets of saw horses.  I need to run a circuit out there for power tools, maybe one for a welder too.  If the darn OT would end I would try to get a estimate for a slab.  That’s about all that’s left.  I’m getting nervous that the quotes will come in higher than I want to spend. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 05:35:06 AM »

I think it's a good idea to go with all-LED lighting nowadays.  It's bright enough (after so many years of development) and cheap to operate.   As for those quotes?  When I had various parts of my shop built, I got quotes that were all over the map .... some were double what others were.  Be sure to get a few and spend a little time talking to those that do the quoting so you can get a feel for the quality of their work (versus cost).

Brian