Author Topic: A house for my GA  (Read 28979 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
A house for my GA
« on: January 16, 2018, 06:50:26 AM »
Any armchair structural engineers out there?  I have been feverishly prepping an old barn to house my build.  It is 20' wide and 30 feet long.  I plan to build a shed roof enclosure at the end to extend my work space.  Thus far I have leveled the building to my satisfaction.  Pored footings and am in the process of replacing wall studs and sheeting.  While all this was going on I removed the sagging wood floor.  That gave me another 1 1-2 feet or so of headroom.     

Here's the question.  What is the best way to get rid of ceiling joists to make a semi cathedral ceiling.  First off I doubt I can get/afford a engineered beam for the ridge due to its length.  I have several ideas.  Easiest would be to use collar ties to make my adjusted ceiling height.  And truss them in.  Any thoughts?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: A house for my GA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:31:17 AM »
Trusses...

Get the trial download of the s/w below - I believe it even has a 20x30 structure as an example:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00068/creating-a-vaulted-ceiling-and-scissor-trusses.html

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:21 PM »
I believe I could do something just like that.   I would rather be cutting plywood!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:34:05 AM »
I believe I could do something just like that.   I would rather be cutting plywood!

Perhaps you can leave the rafters in place, just removing a single joist at a time, building the vaulted-ceiling trusses in place one at a time?  The rafters that are already there can certainly be a part of the trusses....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
Definitely

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:48:26 AM »
Thought I would post a quick update. 
My boat shed is really taking form.  To date I have raised saggy walls to my satisfaction, poured footings and reframed 3 of four walls, framed for windows and repurposed a lot of shiplap siding.  I think the roof framing will be next on the list.  I predict plywood in the dry before the end of march.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »
Cool .... good progress!  And more fun than a bathroom or kitchen remodel.... :(  :)

bd

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 06:46:55 AM »
 I have slowly been killing myself off working over my boat shed.    Since my last update I have finished 1/2 of the scissor trusses.    I'm going to gain an extra 2 1/2 feet.  I intend to send a before and after picture once I get finished with more work.    It's a very substantial change I intended to build on gravel but now I'm thinking to pour concrete. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »

Before and after pictures would be great....  :-*

bd

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
Trusses are complete minus some gussets!   All the windows are framed and I have been replacing lots of shiplap siding.  Still have a lot of work to do but it feels good to get the major structural stuff behind me.  Next will be a couple doors and a new roof.  Planning on metal roof and possibly metal siding.  I don't want to ever need to repainted the building.  Depends mostly on the upfront price.  All these upgrades are sadly coming out of my boat fund.  I have been fortunate to recover some cost of materials by unloading junk on CL

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 12:00:26 AM »
All the structural goodies are complete.  Swinging doors are operational. Built a sliding barn wood door to walk through.  Ran out of repurpose-able shiplap so one end wall and sidewall will be sheathed with 1/2" plywood on the inside. My buddy works at a plywood mill and I got a deal!   44 sheets for 3$ each.  Should have it by the weekend.  This weekend I installed 3 of the six windows and built 2 more from materials on hand.  I have one more to make then all the holes in the building are plugged.  I got a quote for metal roofing and siding so that will be the next big project.  The building overall is exceeding my original expectations and will serve me well in the future I'm sure.  It has also exceeded my original budget, several thousand dollars by now.  No real surprise.   It has really set me back.  But, I hope it will allow me to build in relative comfort and year round. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »
All good and no surprise on the cost factor!  Are you going to provide heat?  Wood stove?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 06:39:00 AM »
I plan on building a wood stove with a forced air heat exchanger.  I need a couple bad water heaters to start this project.  I think I will pour a slab first.  My project is coming along better than I originally imagined.  That itself is mostly why I have kept building beyond the budget.   Before and after pics will say it all

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »
I plan on building a wood stove with a forced air heat exchanger.  I need a couple bad water heaters to start this project.  I think I will pour a slab first.  My project is coming along better than I originally imagined.  That itself is mostly why I have kept building beyond the budget.   Before and after pics will say it all

You can put in a wood stove pretty cheaply ... those horizontal Vogelzang wood stoves work fine, as do the 'caboose' (vertical small pot-belly) stoves, and barrel stoves (get a kit at Amazon).  Pipe is cheap if you just use a horizontal double-wall pass-through through the side of the building.  Bricks and sand, boxed-in with 2x4s, works fine for a hearth .... people in Alaska heat cabins like this all the time ... on the cheap.

bd

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 08:19:53 PM »
I'm too cheap and handy to go the vogelzang route although they look cool.  Have built barrel stove for a Elk tent.  I hadn't considered any hearth.  I'm not sure what you are suggesting with the brick, sand, and lumber.  I might hit the google machine up and see