Author Topic: heating, cooking, batteries  (Read 260 times)

Dan Boccia

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
heating, cooking, batteries
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »
I'm having Anthony at Kachemak Skiffs in Wasilla build a 28 Newport for me. No shop space, no desire to spend hundreds of hours glassing, etc. and a lot of desire to get on the water sooner than later, plus the fact that he's built some 10-15 Tolmans and repaired many others led me to that decision. That said, I'm anything but passive, and will likely do a lot of the outfitting once the hull and cabin are complete. With that introduction, here we go:

My small boat galley experience is limited to propane or alcohol stoves and propane cozy-cabin heaters. Alcohol is out, I absolutely detest using it. Propane requires constant diligence and care to stay on top of any leaks or CO, and you get reliable, field-serviceable, and convenient use. Diesel I have no experience with, and this is my biggest question - I've heard just a couple reports of excellent success with the new Wallas Nordic Dt diesel ceramic cooktop/heater. I love the relative safety of diesel, the cooking/heating from the same device, and the simplicity of the setup. However, I'm curious about the ~10 minute warmup period and people's experience here. I understand they're expensive, but I am fine with that for all the little problems it solves.

Second, I'm planning on a Norcold 2.7CF fridge, and otherwise relatively common electrical loads. I am very comfortable with the calculations and will do them shortly, but am curious about real-world experience. The engine will require a group 29 or so starting battery, and I'm likely to go with a proper deep cycle, heavy, house battery. I'm going to install some solar since our resource in AK is so amazing in that regard. Thanks in advance for any info, and thanks to Dave for posting his Pau Hana build a couple years back, that has been my main inspiration :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: heating, cooking, batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »
Dave allowed me to pilot his beautiful boat around K-Bay and ... it was awesome!  Truly an addicting boat that sends you away with an "I've gotta have one!" feeling in your gut... sigh.

No experience with the Wallas stuff here, but they're the best (or one of).  The only complaint, and it was on older stoves, that I've heard about diesel is that some don't like the smell.  To me, a whiff of diesel now and then is 'real boaty' and I don't mind ... sorta like smelling a whiff of 2-stroke exhaust on the way up the lake at the crack of dawn.  If it were me, I would not hesitate to go with Wallas diesel.  Propane is dangerous, but can be used successfully if you keep the tankage outside the house and minimize hose connections that are inside the house .... but the stuff scares me in a boat.  Bomb Gas....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by greenhorns -
 http://www.glacierboats.com

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • NW Outdoor Writer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:26:27 AM »
I recently saw a post about this diesel heater on FB. I have looked at heaters for the Paula J, both propane and diesel since I started building. I am currently using a Lil Buddy with the tilt switch removed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5000W-Air-diesel-Heater-PLANAR-5000W-12V-for-trucks-motor-homes-boats-bus-CAN-LS/292356618604?hash=item4411cff96c:g:4fcAAOSwbwJaIk0R&vxp=mtr
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »
I recently saw a post about this diesel heater on FB. I have looked at heaters for the Paula J, both propane and diesel since I started building. I am currently using a Lil Buddy with the tilt switch removed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5000W-Air-diesel-Heater-PLANAR-5000W-12V-for-trucks-motor-homes-boats-bus-CAN-LS/292356618604?hash=item4411cff96c:g:4fcAAOSwbwJaIk0R&vxp=mtr

Geez... at only $246, it seems worth trying in a marine environment to see how long it lasts!   I'm bookmarking that heater...

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by greenhorns -
 http://www.glacierboats.com