Author Topic: Kent Cannon's Paula J  (Read 10203 times)

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Re: Kent Cannon's Paula J
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 06:05:30 PM »
Brian,
What you need is TUNA time!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 06:33:06 AM »
Brian,
What you need is TUNA time!

Definitely!  Theoretically, things should get a little less busy here over the next few weeks/months.  Moving to Idaho, buying a house (that someone lived in for 13 years and put in ZERO storage solutions ... cabinets, shelves ... that sort of thing), having to create a new website 'cuz the old one got hacked, fighting through all the troubles with the forum etc.  Right now, I've got a half dozen shelving projects to do and then we'll finally be "settled in" and can just focus on normal living and yard/house stuff ... no projects.  Long story ... but you're right, I'm always too busy.  I want to spend time finishing up some boat designs that I'm working on, do a better job at marketing the Great Alaskan etc..... The web site needs work to make it a multi-boat (and possibly multi-vendor/designer) web site too... all in due time.  This is why I switched to 4-10s on the job.  I work 10s from Tue through Fri, but have Mondays off all by my lonesome (no wife around!!) for getting these other things done :)

BTW, I'm digging into marine-grade logo/website decals.... more info as I get more info....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Morley

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
If you enlarge the photo, you can see the scuppers on either side of the curb. The hatch is up a bit because I spent the night on the boat. ventilating it keeps the condensation off the windows.

Yeah I can clearly see it when I zoom in. Great stuff.

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »
Kent- thanks again!!
Ken

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »
I pulled the Paula J yesterday, time to winterize and such. Next month she goes to a fabrication shop to get a forward handrail installed. then she is going into the barn for the winter.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 06:41:46 AM »
Details and pix on the handrails will be welcome if you get a chance.  Others will want to do the same.  :)

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
I’m definitely interested in seeing some handrail options. Safety, safety, safety!

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
Details and pix on the handrails will be welcome if you get a chance.  Others will want to do the same.  :)

Brian
Obviously, you want pictures of her in the barn, but those are X rated 😝

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »
The handrails will be aluminum, powder coated (if I can afford it). I have gone back and forth on priming them with epoxy primer and then painting or powder coating. Powder coating will give a long term finish I won't need to touch for years (low maintenance). The rails will be temporarily mounted, and once back at my shop, all holes will be over bored, then filled with epoxy before being bored to screw size with the rails then being permanently mounted over some 3M caulking. The 3M will prevent the corrosion of the aluminum at the mounting points. Side note being that saltwater being allowed to access the aluminum between the gunnels and the mounting bases in the form of a thin film expedites the pitting and breakdown of aluminum. By ensuring there is no airspace, you eliminate the breakdown.
I want the railings to be as high as the rails in the cockpit.  My reasoning after looking at hundreds of boats are simple, short railings are pointless, if they are say knee height, they are only good if you are crawling around up there, and in that event you will be wishing they were of useful height.  Having gone forward on the Paula J while offshore, short rails will not cut it for me, even on a nice day. The other reason is fishing related; I. E. jigging for tuna. Having a rail to lean on helps to keep your balance while focusing on fish, not to mention opening up the bow for more fishing space.
Of coarse the primary reasoning is for safety when anchoring, but as stated above, it also transforms  the forward deck into usable space.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »

Brian
Obviously, you want pictures of her in the barn, but those are X rated 😝

Maybe that's why others will want to do the same?  :)

Rail height:  I dunno ... I've gone forward in rough conditions with short rails.  Having one hand on the cuddy roof rails and the other on knee-height rails (while you stoop and walk) seemed fine.  I figure railings are primarily for stabilizing you ... that it's tough to make them strong enough to do a lot more than that.  Dunno... I would do what you think looks best, combined with what you think will work best, then let us know.... :)

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »
Scheduled to haul her to Scapoose on the 13th. Should take around a week including the powder coating.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 11:54:15 AM »
Scheduled to haul her to Scapoose on the 13th. Should take around a week including the powder coating.

What color powder coat are you thinking of?

bd

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
White to match my topside paint...

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 08:11:23 AM »
  That'll look good!

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 09:34:09 PM »
Dropped the Paula J off at the fabricators on Monday up in Warren, about an 80 mile drive one way. He sent me a photo this evening, of the rail sitting on the shop floor. The rail height is the same as the rail height in the cockpit, tall enough to lean on while casting and jigging from the bow as well as not obstructing the view from the helm.