Author Topic: Kent Cannon's Paula J  (Read 10207 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Kent Cannon's Paula J
« on: October 04, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »
Hey Kent,

Thanks again for the pix - I've got your boat on my PC as wallpaper now ... lookin' good!  I can't help but notice the detail and how well you've got it set up (now that I have BIG pix to look at and can see the details).  Looks like an enclosed locker for anchor rode and chain?  Nice perfect-size anchor pulpit too.  Can the cuddy hatch come clear off the boat?  I see a seam around the perimeter like a hatch cover, the type that keeps water out... curious on the details.  You've got a nice RayMarine radar too - which model did you go with?  The $1k+- 'recreational' one or better?  And a life raft!  Nice drip-loop in the coax to the marine radio antenna too ... the tape below is what is used for outdoor ham radio installations for keeping water out of connectors (which will rot out everything inside the coax ... while leaving the outside looking brand new all along), FYI.  It's the non-commercial version of what's used professionally on cell towers and antenna installations.  Does the 'window in a window' on the sides open up?  How?  What type of hauler is that?  I like it's sturdy design with the hauler nested between components.  Looks like an electric gear-motor type, so I won't ask about hydraulics.  In any case ... very well done!  I'm impressed!

Times Microwave Professional Weatherproof Self-Bonding Silicone Sealing Tape for Coax Connectors / Antennas (1.5" x 15')

In the USAF, we called this stuff "F-4 Tape"... great stuff and keeps the water out perfectly.  Just make sure you read the instructions and stretch it 10-20% while wrapping, and hit it with a heat gun (low heat) to make it shrink into place nice and tight.  It comes off real easily too, just use a razor blade or box knife to slice across the wraps (only cut partially through) and you can pull it all right off... but it will NOT come off without slicing it.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Re: Kent Cannon's Paula J
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
I went with a digital antenna, and made up my own coax. I went with the same stuff the long distance VHF radio guys use. I'm at the marina so I dont have access to my computer. I went with a Lewmar anchor windlass. My crab Davit is a locally made unit, and works well but is power hungry. I have three batteries aboard, two for house power and one dedicated starting battery. I learned the hard way years ago, batteries are cheap when you don't have enough!
The forward hatch opens well past center, allowing access forward under rough conditions. I will post a detail once I get home. There are two curbs, an inner and an outer. The inner curb is about four inches, the outer is about two. There are weep holes at the downhill (forward) on either corner. The cuddy roof is on a radius so the water which enters through the intersection of the hatch and curb hits the taller curb, and falls to drain out the weep holes. Works extremely well!
Both front windows open, and the only thing Inwould change is to make them larger.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 10:08:09 PM »
I googled images of tolman jumbo and the Paula J showed up. Your famous!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:07:59 AM »
Always love more info....

Pot haulers are either electric and power-hungry (if they're fast and strong enough) or they are gas and way to loud... but hey, a hauler sure saves my back a lot of work!  I wonder if anyone's gone with a sterndrive and rigged up a hydraulic pump ... an idling sterndrive is quiet and the hydraulic hauler would be a dream....

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
The skylight works well, gives me great ventilation and light in the cuddy while costing in the neighborhood of about twenty five bucks as opposed to the commercially available units which run well in the excess of six hundred bucks and are built with cheap plastic (I used 1/4 inch Lexan with UV coating). I bought some brass hatch dogs which work from the inside. I used brass window slides which I bought of EBAY for eight bucks apiece (one either side) to adjust the airflow at my discretion. I posted a video not too long ago of the build and those pieces are shown in the slide show.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »
Thanks for the link ... and photos.  I really like that hatch a lot better than the commercial ones.... in how it looks and everything.  :)

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 05:15:33 PM »
I was washing the salt off the boat at the marina yesterday and they have excellent water pressure. I was blasting away at the skylight and there was a steady flow out the weep holes, but not a drop in the cuddy inside. The big blue doesn't typically give 60 psi, and I have been out in conditions where water over the bow was a regular event. Still nary a leak.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 06:01:36 AM »
I was washing the salt off the boat at the marina yesterday and they have excellent water pressure. I was blasting away at the skylight and there was a steady flow out the weep holes, but not a drop in the cuddy inside. The big blue doesn't typically give 60 psi, and I have been out in conditions where water over the bow was a regular event. Still nary a leak.

That's awesome ... And the more you can avoid the plastic crap, the better.  Well, except for that bullet-proof polycarbonate (Lexan) hatch 'glass'.  THAT plastic's ok   8) ;D

bd

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 08:44:25 PM »
Kent,
Do you know the dimensions of your skylight? Thanks.
Ken

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
I am at home right now, putting firewood up for the winter and the boat is at the marina some 75 miles away, so I cannot give you accurate dimensions.
The inside width and length are 24 inches each way.  The inner curb is approximately five inches tall. The outer curb is two inches shorter. The curbs are three quarters of an inch apart.
The cuddy roof is obviously radiused and sloped forward so any water that does get in runs to either side and down to  the scuppers located on either side of the forward end.
The actual hatch cover sits directly on top of the inner curb with no weather stripping. Because of the design, no weather stripping is needed. The Lexan is sealed with silicone and is installed after the hatch is glassed and painted.
I wanted the hatch to be large enough that I could easily get through it without getting hung up. It is located forward enough I can access the anchor well to clear a jam if need be. I purposely built the bunk in the cuddy so I could stand on it if such a need should arise.
Comparable hatches were too expensive and in reality didn't fit the look of my boat, so in the end I built this one. I am a fairly big guy, so I needed a large hatch for egress and that was the other determining factor. The hatch is very stout, you could stand on top without a problem, which is something you couldn't do with a factory built model.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »
If you enlarge the photo, you can see the scuppers on either side of the curb. The hatch is up a bit because I spent the night on the boat. ventilating it keeps the condensation off the windows.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
Kent,  Did you build the cuddy according to the Newport cuddy plan, or did you vary?  I like the downslope that gives you good drainage off the cuddy's roof...

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
I built the cuddy as per plan with the exception of the center framing. I wanted hand holds and places to hang gear as well as the skylight. The framing on either side of the skylight is scrap plywood with hand holds.
With that one exception, the cuddy is framed as per plan.
https://i2.wp.com/blog.nwoutdoorwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/image4.jpeg

Remember, I made the hull sides four inches taller so the cuddy roof is plenty high when sitting on the bunks...
I can't seem to get Tapatalk to work on this forum so I am posting links...

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »
I built the cuddy as per plan with the exception of the center framing. I wanted hand holds and places to hang gear as well as the skylight. The framing on either side of the skylight is scrap plywood with hand holds.
With that one exception, the cuddy is framed as per plan.
https://i2.wp.com/blog.nwoutdoorwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/image4.jpeg

Remember, I made the hull sides four inches taller so the cuddy roof is plenty high when sitting on the bunks...
I can't seem to get Tapatalk to work on this forum so I am posting links...

Looks like it worked quite well :)

Tapatalk is temporarily defunct until I (someday) have time to nuke and replace the forums software.  You can back up the database, delete everything ... folders included, then start with a fresh install and that's what I plan to do.  The root cause to the few annoying things here are read permissions that got messed up by first deploying to a server that did not allow full control, and then giving up on that one, and moving it to this server.  Close ... but not quite what  it should be for now.  Got bigger fish to fry- but will re-announce Tapatalk once I fix the forum issues.

bd