Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 216295 times)

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #495 on: October 07, 2019, 08:25:08 AM »
Rbob,  "...You would laugh to see me with 2 pairs of glasses."   I know exactly what you mean!  My wife tells me it's especially entertaining to watch me try to work on something upside down and close to my face.

te
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 14, 2019, 01:03:41 PM »
I will say that I should have glassed the aft cabin door  "door stop" both sides before installing, what a p.i.t.a.

I went ahead and glassed the edges of the sole port holes, cuddy door opening, both sides of the aft bulkhead door stop and the aft cuddy door. 

I think I will finish installing the hatch lids, finish glassing the sole then the seating and interior before the roof.       

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #497 on: October 15, 2019, 07:51:21 AM »

Well ... I will say that you're doing a great job on the glassing :)  And yes, I believe in glassing everything you can prior to installation of the part ... only glassing what you have to on the assembled boat.  Keep up the great work and thanks for our continuous stream of photos!  We get to enjoy your progress and build process with you!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 21, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
I glassed both sides of cuddy bulkhead ( should of glassed it before I installed), the cuddy bunk tops, edges of hatches and area in front of the windshield.  I also added fill coats on all of the above.

I started with the hatch Frame install but more fitting to do, need to pull the frames back out and trim a little due to interference.  Building your own hatches and frames adds a lot of time to the build, I hope they are worth it.

One thing to note, the rear hatch is insulated and is a bit taller so the glass did not want to lay down over the top edge so I used some 3" wide ribbon (like peel-ply) to make it stay down.  It is soo much flatter where the ribbon was, no "filling the weave" on that.

I may just get some peel ply for the floor and cabin roof, just need to justify the expense.

A few pics below but not much to show for all my work I did this weekend.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 22, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »
Looks great.   It will be exciting to see your project as a whole.  It’s turning out quite nice.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 27, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
Brian,

When glassing the cabin sides to the sheer decks and to the boat sides can I use one piece of glass or should I use 4''x 9oz tape on the seams and then add glass to cover all...

Bob 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 28, 2019, 07:09:04 AM »
Brian,

When glassing the cabin sides to the sheer decks and to the boat sides can I use one piece of glass or should I use 4''x 9oz tape on the seams and then add glass to cover all...

Bob

If you're glassing cuddy or house sides after they're installed on the boat, then there's no reason you can't run the glass down and over the fillets where the sides meet the sheer deck.  I prefer 9-oz over those seams and the glass on the cuddy/house sides are likely only 6 oz or so (maybe even 4 oz), so you'll have to figure out how to increase the glass on the seams, e.g. run sheer deck glass over the seams (if you haven't already glass the sheer decks).  Make sense?  I'm sure you can get away with lighter glass, but then I stop and think of a big sneaker wave slapping the side of the house with high weight and momentum .... extremely unlikely, but ?

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 29, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »
9 oz glass on the seams it is, one way or the other.

Thanks you Brian!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 29, 2019, 09:34:33 AM »
9 oz glass on the seams it is, one way or the other.

Thanks you Brian!

On seams, unless otherwise called out, the only thing that matters is the total weight of glass over the seam that has 2" or so overlap onto the wood on either side.  There are always lots of ways to build up to the minimum required weight (or beyond).  Stacking order, wider tape down to narrower tape or vice versa, is insignificantly different.  I tend to go narrow first, wider tape/glass follows, first layer 2" or so onto the wood and each subsequent layer going an inch (both edges) wider than the prior tape layer.

Brian

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 29, 2019, 11:14:58 AM »
The second major issue after the amount of glass you lay on to the corner, is the quantity of fibers removed or cut sanding the corner.  If the fibers aren't continuous, they aren't doing squat.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 29, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »
The second major issue after the amount of glass you lay on to the corner, is the quantity of fibers removed or cut sanding the corner.  If the fibers aren't continuous, they aren't doing squat.

True ... If you sand the glass off, you need to re-glass it.  I give hints in the manual on how to glass a 3-sided corner and get it smooth ...

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 05, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »
I ordered some peel-ply and going to use it on the deck and roof when I get to it.  Gave it a try on the hatch covers and looks like there may be some benefit at least on the flat panels.  It should make for a lot less sanding and a non issue for blush since it peels away.  I purchased the 2.74 oz x 60" and for $3.55 a yard so its not a big deal comparing cost to labor and epoxy.

Pic:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 05, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »

Nylon Taffeta is a lower cost alternative to peel ply, although it looks like you got a pretty good deal, so may as well stick with the real McCoy ... I'm just throwing out a point of information on the topic.

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 05, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
The pic above is the imitation from Walmart, I believe it was polyester taffeta almost $5 a yard and it works good except that it was folded up and I wish I would have rolled it onto a cardboard tube cause it did not lay completely flat (folds left a line)

This pics below is the Peelply from Fiberglass supply 2.74 oz ( they do have a cheaper one)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:37:45 PM by Rbob »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 18, 2019, 09:51:50 AM »
Lots of work done, not much to show though.  I glassed the exterior windshield panels, taped the cabin transition and lower seam with 6"tape (6oz) which allowed me to put 12" on the cabin sides and shelves overlapping onto the sides.  All one marathon session yesterday.

Saturday I picked up my kicker motor 9.9 Mercury Pro Kicker, no pic cause its still in the box!
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/fourstroke/prokicker-99-15/ 

Next is glassing the cuddy roof and bow section.

Only one pic: