Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 15579 times)

Rbob

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #300 on: June 12, 2018, 07:33:00 PM »
Simple it is, a little ways down the road but always thinking ahead.

I just finished the the remaining side of the stringer so on to some sheer decks and the crash chamber.

Thank you!

Bob

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • NW Outdoor Writer
« Reply #301 on: June 16, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »
RBOB,
I used 1/2 inch marine ply for the deck over the anchor well. And it is more than adequate. The cuddy roof is 1/4Ē and it gives a bit. I think if I were to do it again I would possibly go 3/8 for the cuddy roof. You donít get up on the cuddy a lot, or maybe that is just me. But after adding the railing I am sure that will change...sneaking up on albies and casting jigs is in my future!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Rbob

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 16, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »
Cannon,

Hope to see some pics of your albies soon, I love tuna fishing.  I have been out only 4-5 times wit my 22' Raider and had a blast when the weather cooperated.  Best was flat calm and 35mph for 1 1/2 hr run, another time we ran 2 1/2hrs at 12mph and gave up.  Hopefully I will be ready next summer but I know there is a lot to do.

I will be adding a similar railing,  not as nimble or brave as I used to be.

Rbob

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
Brian,

On the center of gravity, not sure how this changes when adding a motor and a kicker.  I have your calcs and I assume it is a bare hull with a cabin or maybe without a cabin.  My fuel tank I will install slightly behind center of gravity If that is the best.

Is it possible to figure center of gravity with a motor and kicker weight in the calculation?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »

You'll find that the boat is forgiving of where the CG lands.  If you aim for having the CG of the fuel tanks just behind the aft pilot house bulkhead or so, your usual array of motors will work fine.  For building an open house-less version of the boat, that's new territory and I suggest building the hull and decks, following the drawing for center console framing, then use sand bags to represent various items (motors, fuel, people, gear, any other tankage, any batteries and appliances etc) and then move them around until you've got the bow trimming 1 to 1-1/2 inches high versus the stern.  Use an angle measurer (below) or a bevel and level to take an approximate angle off the deck and then apply a bit of trigonometry to figure out the trim... I can help with that.  I'd calculate the upslope angle right now but am headed off to the Home Despot....

Magnetic Protractor

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by greenhorns -
 http://www.glacierboats.com

Rbob

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »
A little more progress, I made the collision chamber bulkhead and glassed the inside face and will install tomorrow:

I tried the tick stick but seemed like way too much work so I went with your tried and true method with door skin and traced the perimeter with a pencil compass.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #306 on: Today at 05:21:44 AM »
Looking good!  Have you tried the sander method for trimming glass off the edges of the plywood?  On anything that's going to end up in a seam or under epoxy, you just take a random orbital w/80-grit on it and run it around the edge of the plywood, holding the sander a about 45 degrees.  Peels the excess right off!

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by greenhorns -
 http://www.glacierboats.com