Author Topic: Larger Cabin  (Read 82 times)

Marc Davis

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Larger Cabin
« on: August 23, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »
Brian

When building the PR or Newport to 28'.  Could the aft cabin bulkhead be moved back 2' for additional cabin space?  Perhaps with an outboard mounted on a swim platform bracket (with flotation) as I see come are doing?  I'm not a fisherman so trading cockpit for cabin space appeals to me. I'm just not sure how the balance works out.   

Thanks, Marc

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Larger Cabin
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:24:20 PM »
Brian

When building the PR or Newport to 28'.  Could the aft cabin bulkhead be moved back 2' for additional cabin space?  Perhaps with an outboard mounted on a swim platform bracket (with flotation) as I see come are doing?  I'm not a fisherman so trading cockpit for cabin space appeals to me. I'm just not sure how the balance works out.   

Thanks, Marc

The biggest thing to think about is where the center of gravity ends up.  If you build a 28-footer with 2-foot extended bottom of the hull, then it is effectively a 30-footer on the water.  That gives you more leeway.  Considerations on where heavy items end up should be given, however, such as not moving the fuel center of gravity too far aft.  You may end up with low profile box tank under settees or saddle tanks under the sheer deck on either side, batteries located carefully etc.  The bottom line is that yes, you can go with a long house, and yes, I can help with placement of fuel and heavy items so that your boat's center of gravity is within the right envelope. 

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Marc Davis

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 09:57:19 PM »
Thanks Brian,  That's very helpful.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 06:34:21 AM »
Thanks Brian,  That's very helpful.

One of the advantages to building your own boat is that you have a LOT of flexibility in how to make it all work out .. and I like helping with that.  The more 'dream boats' out there, the better!

Brian

><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>