Author Topic: Nick from Zonnegem, Belgium  (Read 3957 times)

nick1983

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Nick from Zonnegem, Belgium
« on: March 27, 2016, 12:21:21 AM »
Hello!

I'm Nick from Zonnegem in Belgium. 32y old, wife and 1 son of 18months. I work as electrician in a water sanitation-company.

I've recently bought the plans for a GA and I'm planning to build the 28ft. Mostly I want to use him for fishing on the 'westerschelde', a big river in connection with the Northsea.

My first goal is to build a workspace, but due buildingregulations I'm limited to 10m by 4m..

I'm translating the manual in dutch and setting all the measurements in the metric system.

So thats me and my plans in a nutshell!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Nick from Zonnegem, Belgium
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »
Welcome aboard!  Please don't hesitate to ask questions here or through our  contact form.  Since my manuals have a lot of boat and marine terminology in them, I can imagine that  it may be confusing  to translate.

Please keep us updated, pictures, etc... :)

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:53:21 AM »
Hi Nick  :)
Don't be shy, do post pix of your everything, building the shed too.... 10 x 4M is a good size.
I built in a 10 x 4.2m 'shed', made of 40mm electrical conduit, 6m pipe bent into a 'hoop' and placed a 10 x 6m tarpaulin over the pipe. ($230)
I had the pipe in holes drilled into 4.2M long 70 x 35mm timber batten on the ground.
Then screwed with drywall 25mm screws Rondo 28mm Ceiling Furring Channels under this hoop to keep them 2M apart, under the ele 'hoop' to stop the tarp from wearing through.

After the hull was turned over, there is plenty of space inside if you temp screw plywood to the stringers for a floor to make the cabin top, transom - any big parts you can , then store them outside under another tarp.

Have a look at some of my posts, you may see pix of it.
Not waving....... Drowning!

nick1983

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the tip!

I've also thought on a temporaly workshed, so that I can start on the boat.
But most off all, I want a place of my own  ;D no kids or women allowed. So the best that I can do is build a brick workplace with doors that I can lock!
The second problem is the weather here in Belgium and mostly the part I live. We got at least one storm a year with winds over 120km/h of 75mph. My concern is that something temporaly will end up by the neighbours.
We don't have a lot of place here in Belgium  :D
The green part is the workplace. Don't mention the rubbish, I've been building our house for 3years.. ;)

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »
That's a large yard Nick..... and there's a boat in there...... tell us aboat that one!
Storms here too, I almost every year replace my tarpaulin, seems even though the shed is only 4M from the back of the house, the wind just curve balls it around and, well, the neighbor has I think 3 of them latest count......
Wives are good for painting, coffee, glueing, cream scones, fibreglassing, coffee, sweeping up, sanding lots, and just a good ship board mate when fishing..... cos there's cooking, clean up, docking etc..... just that I like doing all the above myself so no need for one.......

nick1983

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 11:52:57 PM »
The boat is ready for the junk-yard.
The whole transom was rotten and broken. I'm going to give it 1 try to fix this summer.. if no succes -> chainsaw!
I got the boat when I bought a place in the marina.

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 03:53:10 AM »
Ah that ol chessnut.......
Yep often the only way to get a berth in the marina of choice is to buy the boat in it.

I woodn't waste time fixing up something that you think needs a chainsaw, it's another thing to procrastinate on!
My list of things I procrastinate on is getting shorter!  :P

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 09:42:15 PM »
Welcome aboard Nick, or Welkom aan boord en ik kijk uit naar uw build.

Bob