Author Topic: Cannon's Salem Oregon Build  (Read 31906 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Cannon's Salem Oregon Build
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »
Nice ride Cannon glad to see you are enjoying it.  How big are the Lings you caught?   Pics....

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
Didn't get any photos of fish, We were focused on catching. We had a brief weather window of about three hours. I watched the whitecaps getting closer and closer, calling it when they got to us. The Depot Bay bar is a hole in the cliff side, rock walls on either side. I have been in and out of there in some pretty rough water, but not in a boat I am just getting familiar with. The entrance is maybe sixteen feet wide with a left turn halfway through.
Google for YouTube videos, can get kind of hairy!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
I met a woman out there who's husband had died right under the bridge ...commercial fisherman.  Got his boat sideways at the turn, rough weather, boat turned over and drowned him.  The slot is narrower than it first appears ...go down there at low tide and observe the rock shelves on either side of the slot that are submerged when the tide's in and you can see just how narrow it is.  Larger boats are harder to maneuver through there and can get snagged on the shelf rock when turning a tad too late ...bad juju.  The GA is only, if I recall, about 13" in the water (not counting the motor and skeg).  I can double check the CAD model to give an exact draft if anyone's interested.

Brian

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 12:33:48 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »
Low tide, there is about six feet of depth. As far as draft goes, that varies depending on what the builder does. I am drawing close to 3' counting the skeg. I'm probably off a bit, but I error on the side of caution.
There are some good YouTube videos of the jaws, one has a 40' charter getting turned sideways. For years there was a wreck up on the South shelf, I don't recall if it's still there, guess it isn't important anymore. That being said, it is one of the easiest ports to go in and out of. But on the other hand, I know the lurker is always hungry for the soul who drops his guard!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/oUwXuHPktc4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2016, 01:54:31 PM »
Wholly Crap!   

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2016, 07:11:50 AM »
Canon,
 I'm calculating 7-1/2" from bottom of keel at center to chine line and then you said your waterline is about 8" above the bottom of the chine when loaded.  That gives you a calculated draft of 15.5" minus motor and skeg.  Based on dimensioned drawings for the Yamaha F225, you have a little over 17" from the anticav plate and the bottom of the skeg. Your max draft should be 32.6" with motor down and anticav plate even with bottom of the boat.  you should be safe at 3'.

The thing that always worries me in bar crossings is depth finders are usually giving an average depth and the trough between swells is what can get us in trouble as it can be significantly lower than the average depth being shown.  I wouldn't like that narrow entrance although it does define the channel pretty well.  LOL

I will primarily be doing my ocean entrances out of Oregon Inlet, NC which is notorious for shifting bars and getting ugly, sometimes you would think you were in a washing machine, (lots of youtube videos of it) and Barden Inlet which really isn't too bad as it is protected by the Cape and the Bight.  I'm hoping the boat will draft shallow enough to be able to use the new Drum Inlet which lets me run up the Sound and then puts me directly on the fishing grounds north of Cape Lookout saving a good bit of running time and miles but that remains to be seen how that works out.  Sometimes the sound can be worse than the open water as it is very shallow in spots.  I will need to run it at low tide at low speed and get a good GPS track before I would try it loaded on a trip.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »
Really, when crossing a shallow bar, you just need to increase the pulse rate of your fish finder and you should be golden. My last boat would draw less than six inches at speed, but the FF couldn't keep up until I increased the pulse rate. Running rivers, the depth is all important!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2016, 10:37:59 AM »
test
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2016, 11:24:45 AM »
Looks like you are back in business 🤑

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
Looks like you are back in business 🤑

Very close... fought many issues ...me, the folks at SMF, the folks at our hosting company.  All appears to be working now, except I must re-upload the attachments/images.  Some of the files are corrupt from earlier shenanigans ...but I'm uploading now and will test in a bit :)

Brian