Author Topic: Cannon's Salem Oregon Build  (Read 31916 times)

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Cannon's Salem Oregon Build
« on: May 19, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
I have been lofting out all of the assorted parts and pieces in preparation for the assembly of my GA. I have everything scarfed and glued with the exception of the sides. I will be doing them up in the next couple of days, as well as assembling my building jig. To be quite honest, assembling with epoxy is kind of new to me in the sense that you can only go so far before you have to wait for glue to dry. That part is kind of maddening for me, I am a get in and kick ass kind of guy. No worries though, I am going to make it!
I moved the shelves and the strakes out of the shop so I could glue up the bottom panels on the floor. My wife came home and wanted to know what those long curved parts were... When I told her, she then asked how I was going to park my boat in the shop... Told her that once it comes out, it is going to live outside ;D
On a side note, now I need to sell my other boat. Not looking forward to parting with her, she is set up just right, just a little small for those 50 mile off shore trips...
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Re: Cannon's Salem Oregon Build
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »
Got quite a bit accomplished this week, I am waiting on some biax tape so I am taking a couple days off to get my house bitch duities caught up so I don't get on the bad side of my wife.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
Ah, yes.  The drudgery of life outside of the shop, in the "real world" as it were.  During my build we met one of my sons and his family in Oregon for a vacation.  He noticed a faraway look in my eye one evening over cocktails and busted me right then.  He said "you wish you were back in Homer building your boat don't you?"   "Guilty as charged," said I.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 06:47:18 PM »
I'm heading to N Carolina early in the coming month. Niece is getting hitched, I'm going because she is family, but not real excited about leaving right now... Buddy moved back there so before I leave for home we are going striker fishing. That part sounds like fun!

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 05:57:43 AM »
Canon,

Do you mean Striper fishing with a "P"?  What part of NC will you be in?  I am headed down to the NC coast this weekend and hope to get out for some Spanish mackeral action, maybe a cobia and possibly run out for some sea bass depending on the weather.  I had to do the whole wedding gig thing this past weekend for the brother-in-law who just got married.  There was no fishing involved for me though :'(

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
BobC, Strippers are for owner/operators as one of my girl friends used to say... NO, I am going after the fish, the days of chasing things other than deer, elk, Salmon and Tuna are long gone for me. I found a new girl friend, she is a hole in the water I pour money into on a regular basis...

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
Yeah, just wondered cuz you said "strikers" with a "K" vs. stripers.   Didn't know if that was Oregonian for something I'm not familiar with.    Will you be fishing Coastal Stripers or landlocked stripers in NC?  One of the best landlocked striper runs in the country is right near my house on the Staunton river coming out of Kerr Reservoir.  One of the few naturally reproducing landlocked stocks.  They run through the month of may and will probably be wrapping it up in the next couple weeks.  Many of the striped bass for stocking lakes on the east coast are spawned from this run at the Brookneal, VA hatchery.

There is also a big striper run at Roanoke Rapids of saltwater stripers and of course there is almost a resident population of stripers now in the sound and at the OI bridge around this time. 

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »
Yeah, just wondered cuz you said "strikers" with a "K" vs. stripers.   Didn't know if that was Oregonian for something I'm not familiar with.    Will you be fishing Coastal Stripers or landlocked stripers in NC?  One of the best landlocked striper runs in the country is right near my house on the Staunton river coming out of Kerr Reservoir.  One of the few naturally reproducing landlocked stocks.  They run through the month of may and will probably be wrapping it up in the next couple weeks.  Many of the striped bass for stocking lakes on the east coast are spawned from this run at the Brookneal, VA hatchery.

There is also a big striper run at Roanoke Rapids of saltwater stripers and of course there is almost a resident population of stripers now in the sound and at the OI bridge around this time.
Was fishing Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. Fished two days with two different guides. The fishery there took a big hit five or six years ago because the had to do work on the dam. Not sure what was involved, but it took five or six years to complete. My understanding is that it is the second largest dam in the U.S. Behind Hoover. In any event the fishery is now recovering. Never have been able to target Stripers before so I can scratch one off my bucket list not to mention fishing with my good fishing buddy who moved to Kentucky.
He has been trying to get me to move down there, but it is not my cup of tea; living in the South. Love the mountains and ocean of the PNW!

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »
Now that I am back in town, I hit the shop Tuesday, since all of the FG tape including biax had arrived while I was out fishing in KY. The downside was coming back to a funeral for an old friend on Monday. I fiberglass end the inside of the fairbody and chines. Came down with a bug from spending too much time in an airplane so not getting as much done as I would like.
I am supposed to be semi retired as well, but there are those who would still like me to work full time. Call them the Joy killers!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your old friend ...

As for the semi-retired ...it's better to be desired and have a way to earn some bux rather than 'need money but can't get it', right?   :o   Now ...I wish *I* could be semi-retired!!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 11:26:14 AM »
Nice catch Cannon! Waitnig to see more pics of progress now that you are back at it.  I am pretty much stalled out waiting for wood.  Did some financial re-organization last month that made things tight for buying my plywood and getting started but it should pay dividends in a month or two, then perhaps I can make some progress, until then I will have to resort to living vicariously through your efforts so keep up the good work. :)

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 11:37:59 PM »
I haven't posted for a while, mainly because I haven't been moving in leaps and bounds. I did get the shelves in place last Friday. 
I have been finishing up a chair for a couple in Colorado and it has been in the high 90's until this last Friday so once done with my daily chores I haven't felt a whole lot like spending any more time in the oven. In any event, I did get the shelves glued and screwed together along with the bow stem. While getting the whole thing dry fitted I came up with the wild idea of running a piece of bias tape across the joint where the shelves come together with the bow stem sitting on top of that. Seemed like a good idea to tie the shelves together with a positive bond. I pre drilled holes for deck screws prior to  wetting out area, putting peanut butter between the shelf joints and putting on the biax. Once I wetted out the biax, I put a big glob of peanut butter between the bow stem and the shelves. I screwed the whole thing together, checked for plumb and called it a day. Beer thirty!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »
Looking good!  Enjoy that weather ...only in the 60s here.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »
Yesterday I posted on my blog that today I was going to attempt to set the main girders and glue up the fairbody, and screw it down by myself. I was thinking that I might get the microlams set and prep for the girders. Well, I got it all done today, by myself. I was tempted to try that new construction adhesive, but I was not sure it was the right way to go, after all, why reinvent the wheel when it has been proven to be an excellent and bomb proof way to go. I bit the bullet, laid everything out in preparation (something that is really unlike me) and went for it. It was only in the eighties today (thank God) cooler than it has been, (high 90's). Rather than mix up huge batches, I used the pumps and did about half a quart ata time. Wood flour, silica and micro fiber, mixed up, troweled on, next batch and all of a sudden I was ready to screw the fairbody down. I used some #10 Spax screws, (not trusting the #8's that break off under torque) and will remove them tomorrow. It went so smoothly, I was done and looking for something to do! Cleaned up the squeeze out and it was all over, time for a pint or maybe two. Soon as I got in the house, lens fell out of my glasses., 'm blind without them, so had to wait for the wife to get home and drive me to the eye glass joint. Oh well, so much for the pint...
I have been stressing over gluing the beams in place for a couple of weeks. Really, it isn't such a big deal, only the nay Sayers in the back of my mind.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »
Looking good, Cannon.  I know what you mean about stressing over some of the tasks and then finding out it was way easier than expected.  Electrical was my big worry, but it went smoothly.