Author Topic: Bob from Olympa, Wa.  (Read 2483 times)

Rbob

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Bob from Olympa, Wa.
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
Getting ready to start my 28' GA and leaning toward the Newport style.  I may have wider shelves for walk-around cabin but not set on that yet.  I went to the boat show in January to get more ideas for my build and loved the Wooldridge SS Offshore Pilot model with the forward sloping window from the cuddy to bow (see attached image). I was reading thru the builds and I just noticed Adrian P. has a very similar window so maybe that will be a better way to access the bow instead of crawling up thru a port hole.  Also on the Wooldridge they have a fold down ladder for us old and young people to get down and back up from the beach.

I plan on beaching the boat with kids and grandkids in tow so I need to consider the best / easiest way to get off the boat not.  Lots of offshore salmon / halibut fishing and of course crabbing in the Puget Sound.

I know Brian is not in favor of the extended transom but if I build to 28' and close the transom at 26' I will get a step out back and more room for a fish box which I like.  Also will be adding a crab pot puller / davot.

I spend / spent a lot of time reading before I committed.  One of the big questions for me is the motor ('s) , on Wooldridge's sight they have fuel economy tests: http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/boat-model-downloads#Super%20Sport%20Offshore%20Pilothouse

The twin E-tecs get amazing mpg from 2k thru 5k but weight 390 ea with the 25" shaft.  This would be great for maneuverability at the dock and the ability to come home on one motor a lot faster that a 15hp kicker if needed.

Trolling on a 115 might be a little faster than I would like so still more thinking on that...

What impressed me the most the the 300hp Suzuki, weight 615lbs and getting 3.5 - 4.0 thru most of the curve between 2k and 4.5k.  When you add a kicker 120lbs for a 15hp Honda about 735lbs compared to the twin Etecs 780lbs.

The boats that were tested are about 4,000 lbs dry with out motor so maybe a bit heavier than most GA boats.

I know 300hp is way more than this boat will need but better mpg and negligible weight difference for me wondering why go with 200-225 hp if the 300 will get better mpg and have more hp if I ever need it.

Not sure if 300hp is to much for the transom so hopefully Brian will comment.

So far I have purchased a kit from Chuck at Westcoast Boatworks acquired some shop space, clamps, tools etc.  Built the jig and made 10 saw horses. 

I am a little slow starting and maybe a slow finisher but I will get it done...   Right now I still have to order the epoxy and glass supplies and have a few home projects that I need to get out of the way before I get started.

I will post some pics as soon as I make a little progress.

A big thanks to all that have posted their projects, pics and ideas, I know it is time consuming to post and I appreciate all of it.  Thanks to Brian for answering the countless questions and for his design.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob from Olympa, Wa.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 03:39:27 PM »
Bob,

Best of luck with your build.  How much was Wooldridge asking for that 26' Offshore Pilot model?  One thing I noticed was that they have a deadrise of 18 degrees, whereas the GA has 13.  The GA is a much more efficient hull.  Hard to imagine needing 300 hp or going 50 mph.  If I were starting over I might consider the Yamaha 200 in-line 4 cylinder.  It's under 500 lbs if my memory serves.

We troll with the 225 Honda, but we changed props to a 15" pitch.  Idle speed of 600 rpm gives us about 1.5 knots.

Looking forward to your pictures!

Dave in Homer

Rbob

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 04:19:44 PM »
Thanks Dave,

I did not even ask how much.  But I do like the stairs and easy access window.  I do like the Yamaha 200 and I am pretty sure it would be enough, just maybe not enough when loaded pretty heavy.  Still lots of time to decide.

starbright55

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
If I were starting over I might consider the Yamaha 200 in-line 4 cylinder.  It's under 500 lbs if my memory serves.
Suzuki is also coming out with an inline 4 200hp that's under 500 lbs.  I don't know if they for sale yet but should be shortly.  The Yamaha I-4 200, the Suzuki I-4 200hp, and the Etec would be on my short list as they're all under 500 lbs.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/News/2014/01/Suzuki%20indroduces%20a%20New%20200%20HP%20Four%20Cylinder%20Four%20Stroke%20Outboard%20Motor.aspx?Page=1

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
All sounds great, Bob.  And yes, take a look at Adrian's "cuddy" design ...very nice.  And the transom doesn't have a horsepower limit, but it does have a weight limit.  300hp is waaaay beyond what anybody can use, BTW, unless you like running at 60% throttle for max-speed runs :)

Brian

Cannon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • NW Outdoor Writer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »
They also had a Woolridge OS at the portland show. The sticker price was right around 150k. Nice boat, but a lot of $ for poor mpg. If I recall, there was a Garmin setup including radar included in the package.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 02:37:21 PM »
We both got the pre cut kits from Chuck.  You may want to check and correct the hump on the bottom C panel before apply any glue.  The pre-cut kit save a lot of time.  Have fun with your new project.  Vincent

Rbob

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Vincent59.