Author Topic: My Intro And A Basic Plan  (Read 2536 times)

Kingneptune

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
My Intro And A Basic Plan
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
I'm planning on taking the plunge with a 26ft one of these here in Phuket Thailand, primarily as a cruising boat for me, wife and kids. But we'll slay some fish too. Never having built a boat before, I started out with free ship software and drew out and unwrapped the panels for and built myself a 7ft stitch and glue dinghy which will become either a kids toy or a tender. - So bit of a leap to a 26ft boat but really, what could possibly go wrong?  ;D

My background for the past 20 or so years has been as either capt or engineer sometimes both on large classic sailing boats of 100 to 130ft. Work is shore based now and has been for the last 3 years and I have the itch to get back out there and salty.

I've got some T's to cross and some I's to dot as the saying goes to get going but I'll try in maintain a running cometary of my progress on the forums here.

Power is going to be 200HP 4 Stroke outboard - that's the target now at least.

West system epoxy is available here but hellish expensive so I'm planing on using a brand called Epotec which has been relatively straight forward to use during my experimentation so far. Wets out nicely and gives a pot life of 45 minutes or maybe a little more at our ambient 28C outside shade temps. BS 1088 marine ply is available here which I'll use for the hull. I'm going to use the local Keuring Exterior Plywood for the deck and cabin etc, allegedly it uses the same glues as marine ply, I also recall reading that its being used in the US as well now, and will save quite a bit on cost overall. The more I can save, the better my chances of keeping that horse power target.

It will be a weekend and after work project so I expect this could well run on for a year to 18 months.

I'm in the early prep stages and need to finish "the tender first", but plan to really get stuck into this by early May.

More to come, but this'll do for an intro. :)

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Intro And A Basic Plan
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
Good luck with your build!

Dave in Homer

Kingneptune

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 03:15:26 AM »
Bought the the study plans last week.

I've just bought the plans proper earlier today.  Homework time.

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »
Dave here in Ozzie we have Bote-cote epoxy, cheapest and no 'blush' we have about the same weather temp as you and bote-cote have a tropical hardener that lets me get up to 45 maybe 60 min before it's too sticky to wet anything 'cept me fingers!
I agree on your choice of ply usage, I'd look at thinning - just maybe 10% - epoxy for that 1st coat where it actually soaks in quicker b4 setting on areas where there is no glass or glue - just where the plans say to give 3 or 4 coats of epoxy, that 1st coat is important for a good soak in.
Thailand huh...... I've been reading up on Malaysia - Penang (?)..... $1200 a mth to live renting or if ur like me and very near retirement buying a place cheap.....
Not waving....... Drowning!

Kingneptune

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »
Been a while, I've done not much towards this except dream about it & wish I'd gotten started already!! Life moves forward & "stuff" just takes up time. This is still going to happen, albeit with delayed start.... Moving forward, I've read and re-read the latest construction manual and gone over the drawings countless times. I'm excited and quite daunted at the same time.. It's gonna be a challenge to start with but I'm sure I'll pick it up as I go.

Visiting local plywood supplier at the weekend, allegedly they have everything I need but beggars can't be choosers in this part of the world and what they say they have and whats really available are often completely different. I plan on coming home with truck full of at least enough plywood & lumber to make the building jig and molds. Hopefully I'll have an order placed for the BS1088 ply too. I have researched LVL - that is becoming a problem - open to suggestions as to alternatives.
Work area is pretty much ready, I already have most of the hand and power tools I'll need now and can borrow or by what ever else I need as it comes up.
I figured I'd kick off proper with the building jig and use it as a platform for scarfing etc. I've also built two "Cat Approved" saw horses and will make another couple of pairs as well.
It's a start of sorts!

Kingneptune

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:52 AM »
Dave here in Ozzie we have Bote-cote epoxy, cheapest and no 'blush' we have about the same weather temp as you and bote-cote have a tropical hardener that lets me get up to 45 maybe 60 min before it's too sticky to wet anything 'cept me fingers!
I agree on your choice of ply usage, I'd look at thinning - just maybe 10% - epoxy for that 1st coat where it actually soaks in quicker b4 setting on areas where there is no glass or glue - just where the plans say to give 3 or 4 coats of epoxy, that 1st coat is important for a good soak in.
Thailand huh...... I've been reading up on Malaysia - Penang (?)..... $1200 a mth to live renting or if ur like me and very near retirement buying a place cheap.....
I'll look into bote-cote thanks for the tip, I'm pleased thus far with the epotec I've tried. But always good to have an alternative here. I'll see if its available.
Yep sunny Thailand, prices vary considerably. Here in Phuket is unfortunately the most expensive part of the entire country - but this is where my work is so I have to live with it. $1200 a month would definitely get you a decent place here or Penang if you shopped around.
We've got our own place here (well mortgage - banks still has some of it lol) but there are tons of decent rentals around.
I like the way your going with your boat, been following your build at various forums  :D

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »
Honestly speaking, you could laminate 2 layers of 3/4" plywood to make your stringers from instead, but that's weaker than the original LVL.  I believe it would be strong enough, however.  That said, if you laminated up 3 layers of 3/4" plywood to make the stringers, and selected a 'heavier/denser' plywood such as mahogany or meranti, you'd have a solution that is more than strong enough and weighs about the same as the original LVL (the stuff is heavy!).  I could do a scientific analysis given beam info from the American Plywood Association ...but think that would be overkill.  I would not hesitate to use plywood as described above.

Brian