Author Topic: GA 26 in Homer Alaska  (Read 84663 times)

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Re: GA 26 in Homer Alaska
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »
Won't mounting the transducer directly behind the Main OB cause too much turbulence? Or am i miss reading your photo?
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2015, 11:28:41 AM »
Cannon, good point, but I think it will be OK. With the engine mounted on a 10" jackplate, the prop is more than two feet aft of the transducer.  I'll post again after I have run it.

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
Hi Dave
I have a new 2013 BF225 and looking for a  propeller to work with the GA 28.  What is the length of the throttle control cable? Any recommendation on the propeller size or model?  How about the gas tank?  Where did you buy your gas tank?   Sorry for asking too many questions.  Thank you in advance.  Vincent

Vincent, I have the Garmin 6212.  I got the Honda equipped with the NMEA 2000 output cable and the electronic tachometer, also with NMEA 2000 output cable.  Both of these cables are plugged into the NMEA backbone.

I think most modern engines and most modern chartplotters have some degree of compatability via NMEA 2000, your engine dealer and electronics dealer should be able to confirm this.

Regards,

Dave

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2015, 09:04:32 AM »
Vincent,

No problem with your questions, that's what this forum is all about.  Never hesitate to ask. 

Props:  I started out with a 3-blade aluminum 15" diameter 17" pitch.  Couldn't get more than 5300 RPM at WOT, so changed to a 15" pitch and it works fine. WOT gives me 5950 RPM and 36 knots (and burns a shocking 18 GPH).  I may at some point upgrade to a 4-blade stainless but it is very low on the priority list (and very expensive).  Normal cruising speed is approximately 3800 RPM, 7GPH, 20 KTS, 3.0 NM/GAL, sea conditions permitting.

Control cables:  you can order them in several different lengths, mine are 20 feet.  More important is the NMEA2000 data cable.  The one that came with the engine barely made it into the helm cabinet and I had to get an extension cable to marry it up to the backbone.

Fuel tanks: custom made by Bay Welding in Homer AK.  They build awesome aluminum boats and are great guys.  Mine are made from 1/4" plate and are strong enough to hang from the stringers by their top flanges.  I didn't want them laying on the bottom of the boat, because when they ae full they weigh close to 400 lbs each.  I designed them to be 50 gallons each but the ended up holding a bit less than that, maybe 45 or so.  I only use the aft tank for long range runs for trim purposes.  A reputable manufacturer is http://coastlinemarinetanks.com/  and you can order on line.  They are in Bellingham WA.

Cheers! And post more pics of your build please!

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
Trim tab installation complete.  We'll try to get out and test them in the next few days.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2015, 09:07:51 AM »
Top notch work, as always!

While I don't expect it since the GA trims out with the bow pretty perfect when on plane (at least it looks that way to me), I am curious as to whether you will get better performance out of the boat with various trim settings ...like forcing the bow down a tad when planing through various types of chop, that sort of thing.  Let us know how you like those trim tabs... :)

Thx,
Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »
I think the boat trims just right as-is, but we tend to load it unevenly side-to-side so this should help level out any list caused by kicker, passengers, barrels of beer, etc.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2015, 01:22:29 PM »
I think the boat trims just right as-is, but we tend to load it unevenly side-to-side so this should help level out any list caused by kicker, passengers, barrels of beer, etc.

No barrels of YJ?

Yes ...the primary factor for boat efficiency is weight, and the lighter the weight, the more sensitive it'll be to weight distribution.   You get 3.x mpg in trade for having a boat that's lighter weight than the big, heavy, deep-V glass or aluminum tubs :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2015, 05:00:29 PM »
I hate to sound like a traitor, but YJ is not my favorite.  I remember a hunting trip where my friend brought along a bottle of it.  The cocktail we came up with was YJ in hot tea with a little sugar.  Hunting partner named it the "Yukon Blister" cause we were drinking it out of tin cups and burned our lips due to the scalding hot mixture.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2015, 09:25:08 AM »
YJ is on the sweet side ...I actually prefer cheap whiskey (R&R) instead.  :o    ...Except we rarely have a drink anymore, usually just wine in a restaurant somewhere.

bd

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »
YJ is on the sweet side ...I actually prefer cheap whiskey (R&R) instead.  :o    ...Except we rarely have a drink anymore, usually just wine in a restaurant somewhere.

bd
Then you probably won't want to come by my place, I like Snake River Stampede or Pendleton as a last resort... Cheap whiskey makes my eye twitch :P
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2015, 11:19:17 AM »
Hey all, the trim tabs worked great yesterday, and no problems with the center-mounted transducer.

Cheers,

Dave

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2015, 06:53:59 PM »
Nice!  Thanks for letting us know, especially about the transducer location ...always a question.

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
I love looking at your work.  May I ask for the cost of the windows?  Thanks.  Vincent

Windows are set.  Got them from Wynne.  Yes, that center windshield piece is crooked.  Not sure whether to uninstall it or leave it.  silicone hs grabbed so it will be tough.

starbright55

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2015, 07:03:11 AM »
I love looking at your work.  May I ask for the cost of the windows?  Thanks.  Vincent
See post #81 of this thread for a breakdown of his costs. Windows & hatches were $3,181.56.

I'm thankful that guys like Dave post this sort of info - lots of small items that you might forget add up and can shock the budget. I only have $1,000 in my budget for hydraulic steering but Dave has $1,700 (maybe he has an autopilot pump in there?) - it's a great reality check that you're not going to get away with $15,000 hull trailer/$15,000 engine = $30,000 complete as some people have touted.