Author Topic: My intro  (Read 1623 times)

rogueriverfisher

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
My intro
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:02:51 PM »
Hey there folks, I'm Trevor, and I'm a fishin' fool. I'm here because of serious interest in the Great Alaskan.

I live in southern Oregon,  and am a third generation Native Oregonian angler, and have acquired the saltwater fishing addiction, in fact, had it for about 7 years. I currently run a 25' long, 9'9" beam fiberglass Chris Craft, which has been a great boat for fishing off the Oregon coast. It's stable, it's roomy, and sleeps 4 comfortably. Problem is, she is a real thirsty boat. Really thirsty, I get about 1.5 nautical miles per gallon with a chevy small block in her.

Because I fish so much, I need to lower fuel costs. The boats fuel is usually the most expensive part of any trip, and I'm paying through the nose right now, and it's not going to get any better anytime soon.

So, I am considering building the Great Alaskan, with it's size for fuel mileage being it's largest attraction to me. I have attempted a build before, a 13' sailing skiff. I had just finished setting up the molds on the strong back, when an urgent need for space came up in my parents shop. It got taken down, and the pieces scattered, to be used on errant things like chicken coops and pigpens. A not-so-cool use of prime, hand picked boat lumber.

Now that I have my own shop ( shanty is more like it, it's PVC framed with heavy plastic and trucker tarps over it), the urge to build is here more than ever. I'm thinking of building a Great Alaskan with a real work-boat style finish, because I absolutely hate gel coat, and the stains it harbors all too easily.  Seeing as I am not too worried about finish, I'm thinking of going with marine grade Doug Fir ply panels, it's economic and strong as all get-out, so why not.

I most certainly will have a pilothouse, but the real toss-up for me is to go center console/pilothouse or just a classic full width house and cuddy. A diesel pickup and a camper will take care of accommodations while I am on shore, so the only real need is enclosure with a head. I will hopefully discuss it further on the general Great Alaskan sub-forum.

Thanks for having me aboard,
           Trevor

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: My intro
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:43:11 AM »
Welcome aboard!  You are one step closer to building than I...you have the place to do it!  I am stuck living in town without enough room.  Hopefully to change in the next couple years.

Keep us updated, as we all love to know how a build is going.

I like walkaround pilothouses too.  I have been having a hard time deciding which way I will go.  I'm thinking I may make a smaller boat for river fishing and make it with a w/a PH.  Then on my larger GA, making it a full cabin.

Good luck...

Grady300

• Ensign
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:51:58 AM »
Welcome Trevor
Welcome to the site. I feel you pain owning a thirsty beauty for off shore fishing but I had you beat my Grady 300 Marlin was very proud to get 300 miles from its full tanks of 310 gallons and is why I sold it and I am building a 28' GA. Mine has been going real slow as of late. Got lots going on at work and at the home front. I hope to get in full swing starting in November we will see how it goes. If you ever up in Bend let me know if ya want to stop by and see how mine looks. Right now I'm at the bottom fitting stage.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

rogueriverfisher

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome boys! 

Eaaygoing, after looking at some photos of a 28x8.5 north river seahawk offshore, (an aluminum production boat built in the greater Puget sound area) and I'm thinking I don't need to have a walkaround pilothouse. The deck looked massive on the north river, I don't know if I will need that much more space. If I really feel walkaround space, I'll most likely go with a deck layout similar to a 24'-26' seaswirl striper.

Grady, I call it big boat problems, eating that much fuel!!! I appreciate the offer to see your boat, my girlfriend and I were planning a trip to sun river for a few days this winter, going to do some skiing and snowboarding at Mt Bachelor. We are planning to go sometime in Feb. Perhaps then?

I also frequent ifish, and thought you did a fantastic job on the wide body! Great job, sir!!

Trevor