Author Topic: Where are you building a Great Alaskan?  (Read 32419 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Where are you building a Great Alaskan?
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
Help me put together a list of who's building what and where... Please respond to this post with a brief description of what you are building (which model, what mods) and where you are located!

NOTE: It's OK if you are just in the planning and getting ready stage ...let's hear about it!

Thanks!
Brian
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:20:26 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Saxe Point

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you building a Great Alaskan?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
If you include the planning stage, you could add me to the list:

Rod Garson
Victoria, British Columbia
GA 25 or a Jumbo 24 if I can't pull off the GA.  But I want the GA!

Not building yet, just wish I was!  Sorry, hope I didn't screw up your thread...

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Just started 28' modified Prince Rupert, sides on the wheelhouse will be not so long but the roof will extend back. Planing on twin 90 hp or a single 200 righter motor will be a 4-stroke. Plan on using anti foul bottom paint so it can stay in the water a few months at a time.

Located in Bend Oregon. Just finished a 21'4" Tolman Wide Body center console and just sold a Grady White Marlin 300 with twin 225 Yamaha 4-strokes. The GA will replace the Grady I got tiered of taking out a loan every time I went to fill up 310 gallons of fuel at $5 a gallon and would only get 300 miles out of it before she was thirsty again. Planing on getting 300-400 miles out of a 100 gallon tank.  :) :)
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

buksknr1

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »
Okay, so I'm not in the "building" stage yet, but I am well into the "planning" stage. I've bought the plans and read them almost a dozen times now,I'm a visual guy written instructions are slow to sink in. I'm starting to put together the tools and supplies,  I just convinced the wife that I needed a new DeWalt compound sliding miter saw. The sticky stuff dispenser is next on the list. I have set my mind on the Newport 30' model, IMHO it's the best looking model. As far as mods go I'm planning on a "full size" berth in the cuddy, like what Ray Brown did in his Jumbo, with a hanging locker and in the pilot house, an overhead console to mount the radio's either in or below. I'm sure I will come up with other changes as things get rolling.

Tom Brown
Olympia, WA

dshoe

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »
i'm building a GA 28 in new jersey..i'm in the early stages..have a kit cut out by Jim Shula and my workshop and jig built out and my stringers cut out..just waiting for another month or so to have better temps for the epoxy...so i will throw in a kitchen redo for now to kill some time

i am planning a transom ext (want the added deck space) with twin 115's..a narrower house to have easier access to the bow..level the deck on the bow some to have a more stable platform for fishing up front.would like to move the helm back a bit if i can to gain more comfort for longer rides..most likely a down east style cabin like the rockport open on one side to enable easier fishing when alone. and curtains to add on for rough weather or colder weather..possibility of a more built out cabin with a second station

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:13:23 AM »
I have three boats in the works. 

Boat #1 is a 30" GA. It has a 2-2.5" bracket with the hull fully extended underneath for more floatation and planing area. I have the bottom peices cut out of heavy poster board and sitting on the jig.  Also both of my transoms are cut out. This is a 1/12th model of what boat #3 will be. I just wanted to have a little experience before I did the real thing.

Boat #2 is in the planning stage.  I'm leaning towards a 25-26 ft GA that will be an open boat, self bailing floors, walk-around center pilothouse. It will have a leaning post and room for two people facing forewards with two people seated right behind the leaning post facing rearwards.  The front windshields will be foreward leaning. A simple machine for our delta waters and some offshore use.  I want to build this one fast so it can replace my current boat. Powered by a 150 or 175 ETEC.

Boat #3 will be a 30 ft GA, similar to what I described in Boat #1.  It will have a cuddy, cabin seating for four, a large fishing deck, under-floor storaged for fish and ice. It will be powereed by twin 115-130 ETECS I'm thinking, and have all very nice electronics.

Unfortunately, I don't have the space to build a 25+ foot boat right now. The larges boat that would fit in my garage would be about 5 ft.  So I feel limited to dream and plan until we can move to a new spot in the next several years.  Hopefully be the time we move I will have it all planned though, and building can commence immediately and move rapidly.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »
Easy Going ...Where are you located?
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »
Brian, I'm in Modesto, California, USA.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »
Cool ...thanks!  You've got quite the project list going... must be younger and more energetic than this ol' boy  :o  ;)

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
Younger...well, probably so. I'm just pushing up close to 30 now.  I'm thinking boat building would be a good father/son project. Should be a very good learning experience as it involves wood working, plumbing water and fuel, electrical work, etc. Shoot, probably a good learning experience for both of us.

Nevada Mike

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
Planning stages as well.  I am nearing completion of a home remodel and need to build the shop next.  I retired in February so hopefully!

I will build in Nevada and locate the boat in Coffman Cove Alaska

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 08:09:13 PM »
Younger...well, probably so. I'm just pushing up close to 30 now.  I'm thinking boat building would be a good father/son project. Should be a very good learning experience as it involves wood working, plumbing water and fuel, electrical work, etc. Shoot, probably a good learning experience for both of us.

I'm 53 ...my 20 yr old son is too busy between work, friends, and girlfriend to spend time on boats with ol' dad.  My GF however is rarin' to go and wants to get into boat building.  She starts this weekend with some epoxy coating and fiberglassing that I'm holding off on for her...

Brian

dshoe

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
hey brian she sounds like a good gal..hopefully fairing will be her favorite part since that seems to be what people complain about the most...as far as your son give him another 20 years and he should be ready to hang out again..atleast thats how long it took me to reconnect and go fishing all the time with my dad with my dad....

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
Brian, I'm in Modesto, California, USA.

One more for born and raised in Modesto CA.. Went to Beyer High School
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
hey brian she sounds like a good gal..hopefully fairing will be her favorite part since that seems to be what people complain about the most...as far as your son give him another 20 years and he should be ready to hang out again..atleast thats how long it took me to reconnect and go fishing all the time with my dad with my dad....

Yeah, she's a keeper... and hopefully won't have to wait 20 more years to go fishing with my son!

BD