Author Topic: Finally commiting  (Read 2391 times)

str8fishon

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Finally commiting
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »
Hey guys,
Ive been hanging around the GA and the tolman site for a while now. I have finally decided to build a GA. I will be doing a 28 footer with twin Hondas. I'm located In ca by Bodega bay (hour above SF). I'm all about the summer albacore run. Currently running a Grady white but looking forward to building my own larger boat. Enjoy reading the site every day. Seems like the interest in the GA is growing. Thanks for being her guys!!!
cj

adam_k

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Re: Finally commiting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
Hi Cj,

I see some super jumbos 25'+ being built, and I always wonder why not a GA?  I have been going over the drawings, and I am really impressed with all of the clear details and illustrations.  I sure wish Tolman alaskan skiffs were layed out that way when I was building my widebody.  I'm looking forward to coming by and seeing your build, and helping out if I can.

Adam

Grady300

• Ensign
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:48:21 AM »
Yes I do believe several more GA's are in the making the next few years on the west coast. I have been talking to a few guys up in Oregon that sound like they are also going to build one. I believe one in Salem has already got started. I am cutting my kit on the CNC this week at least for the bottom and chines anyway.
I agree I don't know why someone would build Jumbo over 24 or 25 feet and not go with the GA but I am sure they have there reasons.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

str8fishon

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
Yes I do believe several more GA's are in the making the next few years on the west coast. I have been talking to a few guys up in Oregon that sound like they are also going to build one. I believe one in Salem has already got started. I am cutting my kit on the CNC this week at least for the bottom and chines anyway.
I agree I don't know why someone would build Jumbo over 24 or 25 feet and not go with the GA but I am sure they have there reasons.
Chuck,
I'm glad to hear that there will be a few roaming the west coast. I also don't understand why anyone would rather stretch a boat design as opposed to just building a boat designed to that size. Looking forward to seeing the progress on your boat as I'm sure it will be much quicker then mine!!!
cj

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »
Chuck,
I'm glad to hear that there will be a few roaming the west coast. I also don't understand why anyone would rather stretch a boat design as opposed to just building a boat designed to that size. Looking forward to seeing the progress on your boat as I'm sure it will be much quicker then mine!!!
cj

...It's the homebuilder's way.  There must be some unwritten rule floating around that says "Thou shalt not build a boat to the designer's specifications.  Thou shalt instead buildest it at least 2 feet longer, 1 foot wider, and all things in all boats are too weak unless you thicken up all plywood, add additional framing, and add additional beamage."  Go figure...

Off my horse...

Brian

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:00:52 AM »
hahahahahaaaa, bloody test pilots
Not waving....... Drowning!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »

...Yup  :o ;D

Grady300

• Ensign
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
Hahaha yep I be a pilot too, I fly by the book and do not deviate. Same reason my at Tolman WB is 21'4" just as it was designed I build by the book also I don't want to be a test pilot or build a boat not to speck. At least not without the designers approval, I will be the guy on the side lines watching.
Had a slight delay getting my kit going my CNC got the flu but she is up and purring like a kitten again. Now I just have to fly home from San Diego and get going. I also have to cut a Tolman kit in a week or so for a client. Build fast fish sooner as a wise man once said.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next