Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 3004 times)

adam_k

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Introduction
« on: January 26, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
Hello,

Im Adam, I built and own a 23' Tolman Widebody with cuddy and pilot house.  I enjoy reading about the GA very much, and look forward to learning more about the design. 

Grady300

• Ensign
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:42:46 AM »
Hello,

Im Adam, I built and own a 23' Tolman Widebody with cuddy and pilot house.  I enjoy reading about the GA very much, and look forward to learning more about the design.
Hey Adam
Welcome to the site as I think you know I also built a Tolman WB and I am going to cut out a kit for a 28' GA this coming week. I'm sure if you know but you can down load the full set of plans and builders manual from this web site for $35.00 and I can tell you the plans are very clear, well done and easy to understand. I highly recommend it and well worth the money even if your just dreaming at this point about a GA build.
 Since you have built a Tolman you will fully understand the plans and well worth the read. Just fair warning if you do get the plans at some point the building bug will come back to life and next thing you will do before you know you will be placing a wood order. At least that's what happened to me.
 I have a 30' Grady White Marlin 300 and its paid for so i really have no need to build. 28' GA other than the fact I love the lines of The GA and I am looking forward to 3- 3 1/2 mpg gallon fully loaded up. Getting 1 mpg in the Grady is a little hard on the wallet.
I figure I will have at the very most  $35k when she is done and that is first class everything brand new. It could be built for A LOT LESS depending on using a good used motor and there are great deals out there on good used electronics. I suspect when I am done if I go to a certified boat appraiser it should easily appraise close to 100k I know it would cost a lot more than that to buy a new comparable boat in glass or aluminum.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

str8fishon

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »
Hey adam,
Glad to see you have joined up!!! Thanks for the ride the other day
cj

adam_k

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »
Hi Chuck

I don't think the boat building bug ever left, just hibernating.  I am afraid that if I got the download, the next thing that I buy is some plywood for the transom, and then some stringers etc.  Seriously I am in the market for another boat project.  I was considering an open Tolman standard, with a tiller steered outboard.  If I build the open standard, I could keep my Widebody, but if I went with the GA, I wouldn't have a choice.  I wonder how much I could get for the widebody?

I have been watching your threads on the GA and I really like the final layout that you came up with.  I think that when your done, there wont be a be a boat in its class that you will want more.  Thats the way I feel about my Widebody, there are no production boats sold that are custom built with the features that I need, and my boats performance exceeded my expectations of what a small cabin skiff with 8 degree deadrise could be. 

adam_k

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
Hi Cj,

It was good to meet you, and have you out on the boat.  You got me thinking about the GA, and I decided to join up to see what you guys were up to on this site.  I am going to buy the plans today for studying.  Keep in touch.

Cannon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • NW Outdoor Writer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
I purchased the plans for the GA and am in the process of clearing out my shop for the build. I was initially planning on a Jumbo, but I feel more comfortable with a boat that is designed for the length I was wanting. My problem is that once length is available, I want t :-\o build to the limit

Cannon
NWOutdoorWriter
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

adam_k

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
I purchased the plans for the GA and am in the process of clearing out my shop for the build. I was initially planning on a Jumbo, but I feel more comfortable with a boat that is designed for the length I was wanting. My problem is that once length is available, I want t :-\o build to the limit

Cannon
NWOutdoorWriter
I think you made the right choice, the Jumbo is an awesome boat, and B&B's is the boat that made up my mind to build a Tolman.  At the time I didn't have a very good place to store a boat, so I went with the Widebody, but now I am toying with building a larger craft.  The GA is the way to go if a Jumbo appeals to you, but you need a longer skiff, the extra beam and volume is a bonus!

Grady300

• Ensign
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:03:18 AM »
Yes,yes,yes to the GA if you want a larger boat. I had a real hard time deciding between the two, like Adam I love my Tolman Widebody CC so much as it has outstanding rough water capability. The deciding factor for me was if I was gona go over the recommended build size why not go with the boat that was designed to be longer. The other factor was mine will be used for off shore 90% of the time so I wanted an over all bigger boat than a stretched Tolman.
Don't get me wrong I firmly believe a 25or 26 foot Tolman is a good platform and much better than any aluminium or glass boat with comparable hull specks. One consideration to go with a Jumbo that size is being able to fit in you garage, little easier to tow, faster build time, and if your not off shore all the time. I am not sure what the seas are like back on the east coast but here in the PNW it can turn ugly very quick.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

Cannon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • NW Outdoor Writer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »
I already own a good river and lake boat (20' Alumaweld Stryker) and plan on keeping it. My build is for offshore use only. Welded aluminum is safe on the coastal rivers here in the NW, but a river boat is not up to the challenges of the offshore fishery. Add to that the cost to operate a boat of comparable size let alone buy one, and you have a definite reason to build the GA!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:35:22 PM »
 :D Welcome aboard Adam, great fun n the boat shed, don't forget the couch in there, excellent place to loiter and contemplate when you cant make any noise..... oh yea, reading instructions - not a male thing to do alas needed.  ???
Not waving....... Drowning!

adam_k

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »
Hi Ed, I can contemplate and ignore instruction like a champion.  I have a boat tent for building, a shed would have been a big improvement.  The tent 10'X20' was set up in a day, and used for four years, to build my Tolman widebody.