Author Topic: GA 28' Build Starting in Centeral Oregon  (Read 21229 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA 28' Build Starting in Centeral Oregon
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
Lookin' good!  When you get the sides on that thing and flip it over, you'll be amazed at how huge it suddenly seems ...you'll get that, "Oh crap!  What the heck did I get myself into!?" response ...followed shortly thereafter by the "Cool!  I'm going to have an awesomely BIG boat!!" response... life is grand!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »
Lookin' good!  When you get the sides on that thing and flip it over, you'll be amazed at how huge it suddenly seems ...you'll get that, "Oh crap!  What the heck did I get myself into!?" response ...followed shortly thereafter by the "Cool!  I'm going to have an awesomely BIG boat!!" response... life is grand!

Brian
Brian
Other than flipping the hull I have already had all those emotions and I love it. This is going to be an awesome fish killing machine and the only problem with the build is I have been fishing too much out of my Wide Body and traveling a lot for work so it is going slow. I will be peddle to the metal as soon as fishing season gets over. If I can get some help I will have it ready by next Tuna season about one year from now
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
...Save a spot for me in that boat!  Not sure what my future plans are at this point, but will definitely include vacation time in Oregon.  Right now, I'm focusing on wedding plans for the 19th of October, then shoulder surgery shortly after that, and my future-wife and I are talking about moving out of Alaska (believe it or not) - mostly likely settling in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  We both have friends and family in Texas and both have some minor issues made worse by cold weather... might be time to go soak up some heat, maybe design some 100+ mph bass boats or something ...heh heh.  If we move, most likely time period will be 'sometime in 2014'...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
...Save a spot for me in that boat!  Not sure what my future plans are at this point, but will definitely include vacation time in Oregon.  Right now, I'm focusing on wedding plans for the 19th of October, then shoulder surgery shortly after that, and my future-wife and I are talking about moving out of Alaska (believe it or not) - mostly likely settling in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  We both have friends and family in Texas and both have some minor issues made worse by cold weather... might be time to go soak up some heat, maybe design some 100+ mph bass boats or something ...heh heh.  If we move, most likely time period will be 'sometime in 2014'...

Brian
Brian you are welcome anytime on any of boats just give me a bit of notice and we will make it happen. If it is between April 1st and November 1st I have my 40' 5th. wheel over on my RV lot on the Siletz River right in front of a 30' deep salmon hole we can stay there. And if ya ever want to make a vacation out of it your welcome to use the place for you and your bride to be. I very well may have the GA moored 6 months out of the year once I get it done and you would be welcome to use it also. Just my way of saying thanks for such an awesome boat you have designed and working with me suppling kits for the GA on the West Coast. When I get it done it should be show quality and you will be welcome to use any photos of it to suite your needs.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 07:25:51 PM »
You're a hugely generous guy there, Chuck ...Definitely will take you up on some portion of what you've offered.  Maybe next Spring-Fall season sometime... we'll see.  Thanks a mil!

Brian

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
Got some more progress done this weekend.
1)   Finished up the transom filling holes, sanding & routing the ½” grove for the motor well bottom
2)   Finished pre-glassing the stringers and sanded all up with 40 grit where it is glassed to the hull
3)   Built the two sawhorses to support the stringers and transom
4)   Glued the transom to the gunnels and set at 14* angel
5)   Set finished stringers on jig to see how they fit and if a lot of fitting will be needed, turns out they fit great won’t need hardly and planning at all
6)   Made sure everything is square and level
7)   Decided to forgo making it longer than 28 feet so she is built to spec. Unlike the Tolman where it is easy to stretch the hull because past a certain point the hull stays the same width running aft. The GA tappers as it runs aft so everything changes as it grows and I did not account for it. Although I could have filled the gap with thickened epoxy and with the glass schedule as it is it would have been no problem I decided 28+ feet was good enough
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
Looking good, Chuck!  Thanks for posting.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 09:11:38 AM »

Thought I would make another post of some minor design changes now that thinks are starting to come together a little bit more. looking for pro's and con comments, as always you guys have lot of good ideas.

At this point I have also decided to get away from a bait tank on one side of the motor well. After doing some research I don't think I will have enough room to do it properly making it where the bait will have longevity. I will see after the flip if it is feasible. If I do go that direction I will have it custom made and just slip it in. I might just go with a deck mounted tank up closer to the pilot house if all else fails.
I am still planing on a bleed tank on one side built very much like a live well as far as water pump to bring fresh water in and a drain out.

As I understand the reg's and I will double check when I send in my HIN number you can include the length of the anchor pulpit in which case will be extended long enough to register as a 30' 1" boat so if I get stuck outside the bar on the way in I will have a better chance of getting in without a ticket when the bar is restricted to 30 foot and under. I seems that is one of the cut off points on the bar.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »
Chuck,

First off it is very hard to critique what you are building.  I like deck mounted bait tank up closer to pilot house, maybe up on a pedestal so no bending over required and tackle storage underneath. 

Bleed tank is a great idea, just curious how wide you will be able to make it.  Maybe a top down view would be helpful.

On to your motor choice, I like how light it is.  Just looked it up looks like 2 options: drive-by-wire throttle and shift or standard mechanical shift/throttle.

On the extended transom it looks like a lot of slope but maybe not designed as a swim step or platform to stand on.  Sometimes on my boat I have to climb onto the extended transom to get debris out of propeller or take a prop off and reinstall like I did last week.

What are you doing about a kicker?

Keep up the good work.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 06:00:48 AM »
Chuck,

First off it is very hard to critique what you are building.  I like deck mounted bait tank up closer to pilot house, maybe up on a pedestal so no bending over required and tackle storage underneath. 

Bleed tank is a great idea, just curious how wide you will be able to make it.  Maybe a top down view would be helpful.

On to your motor choice, I like how light it is.  Just looked it up looks like 2 options: drive-by-wire throttle and shift or standard mechanical shift/throttle.

On the extended transom it looks like a lot of slope but maybe not designed as a swim step or platform to stand on.  Sometimes on my boat I have to climb onto the extended transom to get debris out of propeller or take a prop off and reinstall like I did last week.

What are you doing about a kicker?

Keep up the good work.
Sorry for the late reply I have been off line a while dealing with life. There is no,extended transom the cross section that makes it look that way is the motor well. I will have room on each side of the motor well one will be the bleed tank the other side will house fuel filter, wash down pump stuff like that.     
Kicker will probably be a 15hp Yamaha haven't really decided yet as I get closer to that I will talk with Brian for his advise. I only want to go big enough to get 8kts in moderate seas.   
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »
Sorry for the late reply I have been off line a while dealing with life. There is no,extended transom the cross section that makes it look that way is the motor well. I will have room on each side of the motor well one will be the bleed tank the other side will house fuel filter, wash down pump stuff like that.     
Kicker will probably be a 15hp Yamaha haven't really decided yet as I get closer to that I will talk with Brian for his advise. I only want to go big enough to get 8kts in moderate seas.

15 hp kicker should be just right for a 28'r... since you want 8 kts in moderate seas.  When I get home (probably not until next weekend), I'll try to remember to look up the speed/hp predictions and double check.

Brian

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »

15 hp kicker should be just right for a 28'r... since you want 8 kts in moderate seas.  When I get home (probably not until next weekend), I'll try to remember to look up the speed/hp predictions and double check.

Brian
Thanks Bran your always a big help!!!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021